Mosti Mondiale Amorosso Meglioli Mondiale with Raisins (formerly called Amarone)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled a batch yesterday from last year's release. Used the all-grape pack along with BM45 and FT Rouge. Also aged on some extra Hungarian oak cubes.

Really like how this one's progressing and looking forward to sampling again in 12 months, but looks like a winner so far! :b

Just bottled a batch yesterday from last year's release. Used the all-grape pack along with BM45 and FT Rouge. Also aged on some extra Hungarian oak cubes.

Really like how this one's progressing and looking forward to sampling again in 12 months, but looks like a winner so far! :b

Glad to hear that, I'm looking forward to starting it as soon as it gets here. I read somewhere that MM was using a new grape pack, like to see what that looks like too. My current plan is to ferment with BM 4 x 4 with the grape pack loose in the mix, skipping all chems except KMS and carboy aging til it's clear and then putting it in a Hungarian oak barrel for 6 months. That should make it over a year old before bottling, and then tuck it away someplace safe til 2018.

Glad to hear that, I'm looking forward to starting it as soon as it gets here. I read somewhere that MM was using a new grape pack, like to see what that looks like too. My current plan is to ferment with BM 4 x 4 with the grape pack loose in the mix, skipping all chems except KMS and carboy aging til it's clear and then putting it in a Hungarian oak barrel for 6 months. That should make it over a year old before bottling, and then tuck it away someplace safe til 2018.

Not sure when the grape pack may have changed but the the pack from last year was packaged separately, quite large (i.e. use a large fermenter) and seemingly the "wettest" of all the grape packs I've used. Using BM4x4 is a good choice and given past problems with clearing agents in MMM kits, aging to clarify is a wise plan. Also skipped the sorbate. Thought I'd use the FT Rouge during primary since there wasn't any oak.

How do you find barrel aging compares to using cubes?

Admittedly, I'm very new to barrel aging. I have three 23L Vadai Hungarian Barrels all with wine in them. The first wine that went in, came out last weekend after a 33 day stay. Tasting the wine from the barrel in a side by side comparison to the wine that didn't fit in the barrel and was in a bottle, was a huge difference. Very mellow, well integrated oak, a really nice wine with wonderful oaky flavor. I've never achieved that with cubes, staves, spiral or wine stix. IMHO, no better way to flavor wine than oak barrels, that's why wineries do it that way, right????????

The other factor, is the micro-oxygenation and concentration provided with barrel aging. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but I think it's played a large part in the change to the wine. I'm a huge fan so far. During the course of the 33 days, nearly 750ml was required to keep the barrel topped up, meaning that much either evaporated (concentrated the wine) and/or soaked into the wood.

First wine in and out of barrel #1 was the Forza, next one out is a Nebbiolo, I'll be tasting that one tomorrow when I rack it out of barrel #2 and put a new one in.

Amarone came in today, just finished pitching yeast, kit came with:
23 l juice
454 g red raisins
5 g EC 1118
200 g very dark oak chips for secondary
10 g yeast nutrients @ 1.040
5 g Sorbate
5 g KMS
Kieselsol & chitosan for clearing

No bentonite........easy start, dump in 23 l juice, no water to add, dump in raisins and stir. SG at 1.100, fridged the EC 1118 and pitched BM 4x4 (my new fave for big reds) and let it roll.

Initially, I was concerned about having no bentonite since I'm planning on omitting clearing agents too, but I was reminded of my long term plan. Time is on my side, and I hope that it works its magic on the Amarone.

So this one's going pretty minimal, juice, raisins, yeast, oak, and KMS in the end.

John - no dextrose? At 1.100, and fermenting to dry, you'll get an ABV of about 14.4%. Usually Amarones are north of 15%. Are you planning any chapitalization to bump that up a little, or just let it ride?

Nope, just gonna let it ride. It does have a pretty juicy looking raisin pack, but it won't affect the ABV by any appreciable amount. I thought about a little boost, but at the 14%+ level, I don't know that 1% would be terribly detectable.

My assumption is that they've done their lab and testing work and the ABV will be properly balanced. When it's done, it'll be my chance to decide, that'll be grounds for future batch adjustments.

Nope, just gonna let it ride. It does have a pretty juicy looking raisin pack, but it won't affect the ABV by any appreciable amount.

Not disagreeing -- just quantifying. 454 g of raisins (which are about 2/3 sugar) should increase SG of 6 gallons by 0.004, or, bumping the ABV by 0.5%.

Not disagreeing -- just quantifying. 454 g of raisins (which are about 2/3 sugar) should increase SG of 6 gallons by 0.004, or, bumping the ABV by 0.5%.

I assumed a little lower content than 2/3, at any rate, a tad closer to the stylistic norms, but it's just not significant enough either way to cause me to boost the sugar / ABV. And I certainly didn't think you were being disagreeable, thanks for the info!

Just racked this and stabilized. Looks to be missing about 1.5 of wine. Not too thrilled with that considering the price of this kit. On the other hand the Meglioli Sicilian Primativo we did just prior to this came with a huge skin pack, which left us with well over 23l racking to secondary, the remainder of which we were able to add back in at stabilization. Anyone else experiencing similar results?

Just racked this and stabilized. Looks to be missing about 1.5 of wine. Not too thrilled with that considering the price of this kit. On the other hand the Meglioli Sicilian Primativo we did just prior to this came with a huge skin pack, which left us with well over 23l racking to secondary, the remainder of which we were able to add back in at stabilization. Anyone else experiencing similar results?

Mine was about a bottle short after pressing the fruit. I wasn't surprised since my 23 liter carboys seem to be 23.75 liters. I always get 31 bottles from them when I bottle. Mine is still in carboy, no fining agents used, racked once off of a layer of light sediment, it's not completely clear yet, but a long way from bottling anyway.

Mine was about a bottle short after pressing the fruit. I wasn't surprised since my 23 liter carboys seem to be 23.75 liters. I always get 31 bottles from them when I bottle. Mine is still in carboy, no fining agents used, racked once off of a layer of light sediment, it's not completely clear yet, but a long way from bottling anyway.

Maybe I'm being a bit finicky, since it's only adding about 30 cents per bottle, having to dump a couple more bottles into what was already a ~$7 per bottle kit. I've never had to add more than a full bottle to any other kit we've ever made. I guess it comes down to lack of quality control at this price point. If their kits w/skins provide more than enough juice, why not add a bit more juice to the kits w/o skins to compensate for the lack of skins? So either way, you end up with at least 23L of wine without having to top up with something additional.

@Brian55:

I don't disagree, it would be pretty easy to put a little more juice in the packages. I've checked my 23L line in my fermenters and they are dead on, and the MM's typically fill right to the line. By the time fermentation has completed, the wine level is below the 23L line, I suppose due to some evaporation during fermentation. Never really worried too much about that since it only serves to concentrate (if only a little bit) the wine. I just top up and move on.............

Latest posts

Back