Mosti Mondiale Sonoma Edition Juice pails

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hordak

Reaction score
Just picked up three juice pails from my Mosti Mondiale retailer. Pinot Noir Sonoma Edition, Red Zinfandel Sonoma Edition and a regular Valpolicella must bucket. The Sonoma reds have 4kgs of grape skins.

I made up a Joeswine type fpac for each juice pail depending on their berry varietal characteristics. There is not alot of extra room in the juice pails so I ended up pouring the Valpolicella into one of my 10gal fermenters and that way if needed I could thief over some of the other juice if it gets to raucous.

In the Valpol I also added a pound of dried currants and about half lb of dried cherries.

They come preinoculated but I'm not sure what yeast is used. If any readers know shoot me a message. I was hoping to use RC212 but it may be pointless or even detrimental to have two different yeast strains doing there thing.

They are not quite room temp yet and seem a little low on SG so I made a simple syrup up just in case I need to bump up a bit.
I'm pretty excited about these buckets and at $110CAN for the Sonoma Ed's that seems like a pretty good deal.

I threw in some pics.

20151105191345096.jpg

20151105191755548.jpg

IMG_20151104_144127.jpg

Hmmm, I picked up 4 of these pails (zin, cab franc, merlot, syrah) and they gave me 4 packs of Red star Pasteur Red to inoculate. One thing I noticed with these pails was 2 had the 4 kgs grapes while the other 2 hardly had any, barely enough to cover the surface...not impressed!

Mine definitely were pre-inoculated cause once they got up to temp they took off. For fun I added about a third of a package of RC212 yeast to each batch.
My Valpolicella had no grape skins but the Sonoma ones definitely did.
Were yours from Mosti ??

Cory

Were yours from Mosti ??
Cory

Yes, The retailer told me that they come balanced and nothing else, and that I would have to add my own yeast, you would think that they would have to include the yeast in the ingredient list if they inoculate? so I'm assuming that yours fermented on wild yeast!

Rob

IMG_20151105_051158.jpg

Last edited:
I just copied this from Mosti Mondiale's website and instructions for the Sonoma juice pails:

"Every Mondiale Fresco (Fresh Juice) has been pre-inoculated with selected yeast and minimal amounts of sulphur dioxide in order to properly ensure you an ideal and perfect fermentation while reducing the risk of oxidation to your must"

I don't there is any way wild yeast would take off that quick.

Maybe your retailer had old info?

Cory

I also got that info from their website so I asked the retailer 3 or 4 times are they sure that they come with nothing, she was quite adamant about it. I'm going to try and contact Mosti Mondiale about this.
Thanks for the info!
Rob

Good luck. Mine seem to be doing quite well, going to rack them again this weekend as fermentation is completely done now. No off smells beside co2 so I really think they came with pretty good yeast infused in them.
Let me know what they say.
Cory

I did a Mosti Mondiale Sonoma edition last year. After about 1-2 weeks it started to get a sulfur smell, and after 3 weeks it downright STUNK. Racked it over copper and aerated it, added oak and aged it out. Took about a year, but came out awesome. Not sure what the issue was (not enough nutrient?) but LHBS had multiple complaints that year so they are hesitant to push that line again. Challenging but rewarding!

Good luck. Mine seem to be doing quite well, going to rack them again this weekend as fermentation is completely done now. No off smells beside co2 so I really think they came with pretty good yeast infused in them.
Cory
Mine is doing well also, will rack for the second time this weekend. Smells wonderful, just don't know which yeast did the work...or maybe both!

Let me know what they say.
Cory
Will do!...Let me know how yours is coming along, I'll do the same.
Rob

Last edited:
I guess an acronym is, by definition, an abbreviation. ;)

ac·ro·nym

/ˈakrəˌnim/

noun

noun: acronym; plural noun: acronyms

an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

I guess an acronym is, by definition, an abbreviation. ;)

ac·ro·nym

/ˈakrəˌnim/

noun

noun: acronym; plural noun: acronyms

an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

Yes, an acronym is, by definition, an abbreviation. However, an abbreviation is not, by definition, an acronym! The critical part is highlighted above, and forms my question: does anyone pronounce LHBS as a word? Would it be something like "libs"?

I did a Mosti Mondiale Sonoma edition last year. After about 1-2 weeks it started to get a sulfur smell, and after 3 weeks it downright STUNK. Racked it over copper and aerated it, added oak and aged it out. Took about a year, but came out awesome. Not sure what the issue was (not enough nutrient?) but LHBS had multiple complaints that year so they are hesitant to push that line again. Challenging but rewarding!

Ou8amaus - I'm glad you chimed in and said you were happy with the end result. I've read alot of mixed reviews on the Mosti fresh juice pails. I think they have perhaps gotten a better product in the last couple years and added their 4kg of grape skins. I can get their 4kg grape skin pack for $10 from my local home brew store (LHBS) "libs" "Le Hubas" and I add it to all my non-grape skin kits or juice pails.

Sucks donkey balls that I have to wait till next year for a sample though ;(

Cory

Acronym for "Local Home Brew Store".
Thanks!
Ou8amaus - I'm glad you chimed in and said you were happy with the end result. I've read alot of mixed reviews on the Mosti fresh juice pails. I think they have perhaps gotten a better product in the last couple years and added their 4kg of grape skins. I can get their 4kg grape skin pack for $10 from my local home brew store (LHBS) "libs" "Le Hubas" and I add it to all my non-grape skin kits or juice pails.

Sucks donkey balls that I have to wait till next year for a sample though ;(

Cory
I have done multiple Mosti Fresh juice batches. They are local for me so a nice option. The Sonoma was my favorite, but on average the juice pails are.... nice. No KT but only low/medium bodied. I have made some nice blends with Winery Series and Mosti, trying to get the body and flavor of the Winery with the freshness and lack of KT of the Mosti fresh juice. Cannot speak to the skin packs as they are not available in my neck of the woods. Personally I have found oaking really helps them. Good luck and do not wait a year to sample! Just like corporations, home wine needs quarterly reviews!

Ok, I received a reply from MM after I had asked them if the Sonoma edition juice pails are inoculated with yeast, if so which strain and this is what they said:

"The Sonoma Edition must is inoculated with wine yeast.
Although, the type of yeast we use is proprietary information, we can tell you that we use varietal-specific yeast that is, in our opinion, of the highest quality."

Now I just hope I didn't mess these kits up with the addition of Red Star Pasteur Red! :ft

Not impressed with my retailer giving me the wrong info!!! :po

Rob

Last edited:
You can assume that "...of the highest quality" means dominant yeast, which also means you can't mess it up.

Latest posts

Back