Mosti Mondiale Meglioli grape pack question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevetz

Junior
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question was already addressed elsewhere.

I just purchased the Meglioli Nebbiolo (Barolo) kit with ALLGrape pack. The upgraded grape pack shipped separately and does not appear to be the same varietal as the kit. It's clear that this Grape pack is universally used for all Meglioli red wine kits. It simply states that the contents are "raisins" and "wine grapes" from California - could be Merlot, Cab, who knows but almost certainly NOT Nebbiolo.

With other high end kits, I am accustomed to the grape packs being from the same grapes that produce the juice or at least from the same varietal. This makes sense to me.

My concern is that the addition of a 9 pound pack of generic grapes into this high end kit will turn this Nebbiolo into a less desirable blend. Is my concern warranted?

Would I be better served using the raisins and saving the grape pack for a juice bucket or a less expensive kit?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

allgrape.JPG

To get 6 gallons of finished wine from fresh grapes you need about 100lbs of grapes depending on varietal. So 9lbs of grapes in 6 gallons of juice is not going to alter the flavor profile at all. Although not specified you can bet the grapes in that pack are more than likely merlot which can go into any wine pretty much as it has a very neutral flavor profile and blends well.

No worries.

How much real Nebbiolo is actually in the kit, or is it a Nebbiolo style wine?

Betch'a can't tell!

The box is labeled "Barolo style" with 100% Nebbiola juice from Italy.

My concern is that the grape pack is about 20% of the total volume by weight so it might meaningfully change the character of the end product. In Bordeaux and other blends, much smaller percentages of varietals have a big impact on the blend. The raisin pack is probably still Merlot but very small in comparison - probably a quarter pound.

I just want to make sure the end product will actually be better as a result of the grape pack addition rather than worse.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Kevin

I had to chuckle at the statement "...total volume by weight...". I am guessing you meant 20% of the total weight. That might be true, but the juice is only about half the weight of crushed grapes.

Anyway, I tend to agree that you are unlikely to taste Merlot in your kit because of adding the grape pack. I always consider kits a rough approximation (at best) of a varietal anyway. Your wine will certainly be better off with the grapes added.

Latest posts

Back