Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
I finally got around to making the La Bodega Port kit.

I used a food processor to chop the raisins, and put them in a bag and let them rehydrate in the La Bodega juice.

In the meantime, I made a yeast starter slurry. Rehydrated the yeast for 15 minutes in warm tap water. Added it to 3 cups water w/ 4 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast nutrient. After 6 hours, added 3 cups of the La Bodega juice. After 6 more hours, I pitched into the La Bodga Juice.

The SG out of the bag was 1.115. After 12 hours with the raisins, it rose to 1.120.

I was going to chapitalize, but here are my thoughts. The F-Pack should add about 0.030 of SG. If the 1.150 ferments down to 1.020, that would be about 18% abv. 1.020 is about the sweetness I want.

So, my plan is to let it ferment down to 1.020, and then add the f-pack in two additions.

I should end up with 18% ABV, and SG of 1.020, and no need for sorbate. Any comments?

If that works, I may add brandy to bring it up to 20% ABV. Note: The raisins may add another 0.005 SG as they fully give up their goodness (ending SG of 1.025).

Last edited:
Not knowledgeable on this kit though I wanted to make it, but doesn't the F-pak mean "flavor pack"? I'm guessing you still need to add the pack to flavor the port. Just a guess though.

Not knowledgeable on this kit though I wanted to make it, but doesn't the F-pak mean "flavor pack"? I'm guessing you still need to add the pack to flavor the port. Just a guess though.

I will be adding the f-pack.

After 1.5 days, it is down to 1.07 from 1.12. I'll probably be adding the yeast nutrient tonight, and in another day or two, 1/2 of the f-pack (chapitalize). That should put me at 18% ABV.

Latest posts

Back