Mosti Mondiale Kits vs juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstime

Reaction score
So what's the difference between 18L concentrate kits and 23L all juice. I'm not sure how I feel yet but adding about 2gallons of water to the kits vs all juice. What do you guys think.

So what's the difference between 18L concentrate kits and 23L all juice. I'm not sure how I feel yet but adding about 2gallons of water to the kits vs all juice. What do you guys think.

Our first attempt with an all juice kit is still in secondary, so it's far too soon to tell, but the idea of an all juice kit, as opposed to dumping a bunch of water back into a concentrate certainly sounds more appealing.

Those of us whom have made kits long enough and made enough AJ kits are 99.99999% sure that an AJ kit uses the exact same materials as the 18L kits, they just don't remove the water. AJ kits honestly did not turn out all that great compared to many of the big end 16L or 18L kits with grape packs etc.

Those of us whom have made kits long enough and made enough AJ kits are 99.99999% sure that an AJ kit uses the exact same materials as the 18L kits, they just don't remove the water. AJ kits honestly did not turn out all that great compared to many of the big end 16L or 18L kits with grape packs etc.

Well that's not optimal... :po

YMMV as they say. Out of all of the AJ's I made only the Amarone really turned out good and then I had to open all the bottles up after ~18 months and add additional tannin.

Not sure if the OP is referring to juice buckets or AJ kits... Of the now 20 or so batches of wine I've made thus far the one I and my wife have liked the least was a MM 23L AJ kit. A White Zin if I remember correctly.

YMMV as they say. Out of all of the AJ's I made only the Amarone really turned out good and then I had to open all the bottles up after ~18 months and add additional tannin.

I picked up a Petite Syrah, since it's one of my favorites and I've never seen it in kit form. Hopefully it turns out to be at least moderately drinkable.

Made that one as well and for just that reason! It turned out just as you described…….

Moderately drinkable…...

I picked up a Petite Syrah, since it's one of my favorites and I've never seen it in kit form. Hopefully it turns out to be at least moderately drinkable.

Williams makes a petit syrah kit. I currently have one working. Should be bottling at the end of March. So far, it looks, smells and (the juice) tastes pretty good.

Williams makes a petit syrah kit. I currently have one working. Should be bottling at the end of March. So far, it looks, smells and (the juice) tastes pretty good.

Let me know how it turns out. 1.5 gallons of concentrate to make 5 gallons of wine has me a bit skeptical.

My two cents on a couple of the above comments...

1. I totally agree with Mike on the All Juice vs. the Premium Kits (which I define as at least 16 liters of concentrate and a grape pack in the reds). My experience with the AJs is that they seem to be one of the lesser offerings by MM with the water added. In effect, you are paying for and shipping water, if you order them on line.

2. I no longer make wine from grapes for a number of reasons (sold all of my equipment years ago, no space, more work than kits or juice buckets, less choice in grapes varieties, don't care for fruit flies in the house, etc.) so I make everything from kits or buckets of juice. Between the two, the buckets are more economical though only available twice a year, our Spring for the Southern Hemisphere grapes and our Fall for the Northern Hemisphere grapes. The downside I have experienced in juice buckets is their inconsistency from year to year, though I suppose that this is to be expected as vintages differ. I like the consistency of kits, the ease in making wine, the year round availability, the variety but I do acknowledge that they are more expensive. I try to buy them on sale and make them when I have the time and open equipment.

3. Regarding Williams Brewing Company concentrates, I have only made their Muscat, which was excellent. I have not tried a red and I would not be surprised if they, too, were good.

Latest posts

Back