Mosti Mondiale Ready to start La Bodega port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased last month and now I am ready to get it rolling.
I saw people recommending step feeding ports so you up the final alcohol and use less brandy. (Jim and Mike? @ibglowin @Boatboy24 ).

Raisins: Instructions say to add raisins 24 hours after adding yeast, instead I want to chop them using a knife and pour into primary bucket right after adding the juice, so before adding yeast. I assume this should be ok?

90gr of Oak chips: instructions say to add after 3-5 days when SG is around 1.040~1.050 :ft why not at the start?

Not sure what the initial SG would be but it looks like it will drop quick within 3 days, so I need some guidelines on when to add simple syrup (sugar) to step feed.

Thanks..

Last edited:
Started it tonight.
Followed the instructions, but added the 1lb of raisins (chopped) prior to yeast.
Also added a bit of the f-pack up-front, maybe 1/3 of the f-pack.

SG ~1.114

Pitched the 2 packets of EC-1118. Will add the 90gr packet of oak as per instructions around 1.050 when 1st racking is done.

I'd still want to hear when a good time to start step-feeding with simple syrup, what intervals and around how much sugar.

My plan is to chapitalize at 1.010.

Add 1/4 pound of sugar (about 1/2 cup) at a time.
Let it ferment down to 1.000, and repeat until the yeast give up.

You should be able to add at least 1.1 pounds, or 2.5 cups of sugar, and hit 18% abv, the stated limit of EC-1118.

1/4 pound, or 1/2 cup of sugar should add about 0.005 SG, so you won't be too sweet when the yeast give up.

Note: 1 pound of raisins can add 0.010 of SG, so that may halve the amount of sugar you can add to raise it to 18% abv.

Note2: Take a reading at 12 and 24 hours. That may give you a truer starting SG (after f-pack and raisins have had some time to incorporate).

Last edited:
My Black Forest Port started at 1.112. I fed at 1.074, bringing SG up to 1.090. On my Blueberry Port, I step fed twice. Both times at 1.030.

My plan is to chapitalize at 1.010.

Add 1/4 pound of sugar (about 1/2 cup) at a time.
Let it ferment down to 1.000, and repeat until the yeast give up.

You should be able to add at least 1.1 pounds, or 2.5 cups of sugar, and hit 18% abv, the stated limit of EC-1118.

1/4 pound, or 1/2 cup of sugar should add about 0.005 SG, so you won't be too sweet when the yeast give up.

Note: 1 pound of raisins can add 0.010 of SG, so that may halve the amount of sugar you can add to raise it to 18% abv.

Note2: Take a reading at 12 and 24 hours. That may give you a truer starting SG (after f-pack and raisins have had some time to incorporate).

yup, I checked SG this morning, 12 hours after pitching yeast, and the raisins up the SG to close to 1.120

The difference between this and the WE Raspberry Chocolate is that on this one they want you to let it go all the way dry to 0.996 or less and then you stabilize and add the f-pack. The WE wants the f-pack around 1.010

Instead of plain white sugar I want to use simple syrup (sugar boiled with water) and I think a jar would up the reading ~ 0.010 if I remember correctly.

I don't understand why MM wants you to rack around 1.050 and then add the oak chips then, maybe because they want you to discard the raisins added, see here:

http://www.finevinewines.com/InstructionsLaBodegaOAJMEAJMEG.pdf

I'm thinking of racking into another plastic bucket just to remove the raisins, but then let it sit in open container for the remaining of the fermentation process so I can do my step-feeding.

I don't understand why MM wants you to rack around 1.050 and then add the oak chips then, maybe because they want you to discard the raisins added

Seems like the primary reason to rack is to remove the raisins. Since they want you to stir it up, you are racking all the lees. The only thing staying behind is the raisins.

Racking to a carboy also serves to add oxygen, and possibly a more secure airlock than with a pail.

The purpose of oak during fermentation is primarily for "removing vegetal [green] aromas, reducing astringency, and enhancing the fruit and
smoothness."

So, it seems like the mid-fermentation racking is to get it off the skins, and use the oak to remove the vegetal/green aromas.

Ok, this morning the SG was ~1.070, it may be down to 1.050 later tonight.
Once it hits that SG I plan to leave it in its primary bucket but use a strainer to remove all raisins, then add the 90gr oak pack and stir.

I hope I can take it all the way in its primary bucket and when yeast gives up after step-feeding then rack to 3gal carboy and airlock.

I thought about that too, there'll be a big head space anyways.
What advantage are you after doing it that way, to have it under airlock?

Since I had to rack anyway, I presumed I would rack into a carboy. I prefer being in glass than plastic.

However, if I am going to chapitalize, it is easier to do in the pail (stir). Straining out the raisins (and giving a good stir to whip in some O2), vs racking, seems to be good idea.

Update:
Last night SG=1.022. Added about ¼ simple syrup jar. SG=~1.026

This morning SG=1.014. Added about ¼ simple syrup jar. SG=~1.018

Boy, I'd wish hydrometer to have a digital display :ft

I will try to step-feed again around 1.010

Let me know guys if this is all good approach since this is my 1st step-feeding :h

My guess is that you are close to the max 18% tolerance if the wine ferments down to 0.996. You might want to wait till it gets down to 1.000 before adding more, and then I would add in 0.002 increments.

Keep the temp up in the 78-80 degree range.

I think if you're not careful you could end up with a final SG above 1.000 which is going to be very sweet after you add the fpac. I have had these kits finish at .996 and the fpac made it almost too sweet.

Stirred early this morning but didn't check SG yet, no much fizzing noise so it may be winding down.

Would you guys step-feed again if it falls under 1.000 ?

An hour ago, SG down to ~1.003

Should I still step-feed a little bit when it hits 1.000 back to 1.002, or just leave alone?

On the fence right now whether to leave or go for it.

I think if may bump a little based on yeast activity.

Just my opinion but I think you are going to end up way to sweet unless you like it that way. I would stop now and let it ferment out as low as it will go.

Just my opinion but I think you are going to end up way to sweet unless you like it that way. I would stop now and let it ferment out as low as it will go.

I hear you. I'll take a reading later this evening and see how it goes from there.

I used about 1/4 of the f-pack up-front in primary.

What I might do at this point, assuming you were going to add the entire remaining f-pack is to:

Let it ferment down to 1.000, and then add the remaining f-pack.
Stir the heck out of it
And let that ferment until it stops

I'm guessing you are pretty close to the limit of the yeast, and it won't ferment much of the f-pack.

Latest posts

Back