Mosti Mondiale Arrrg Meglioli not clearing AGAIN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If anyone is following my love/hate relationship with Mosti Mondaile Meglioli kits here is another update.

The good news:
I received the four packages of bentonite and followed Mosti's instructions to mix all four with one an a half cups of cold water and stir to the consistency of cream. I ended up using an immersion blender since bentonite tends to clump around a spoon or whisk. I made the loveliest mud you've ever seen. Then let set 24 hours before stirring into a newly racked Amarone. Their instructions say that after 72 hours 4-6 inches of the wine should be clear, if so it's only a matter of time. The whole carboy should be clear within 7-10 days. Wah-lah. It's clearing!

The bad news:
My expectations of "Ruby-red young colour, aromas of very ripe cherries and plums and a touch of licorice, tight tannins, fruity and high alcahol" are dashed. it's clear but almost pink rather than ruby. It lacks all fruit be it young or ripe. Tannins, I can add my own tannins if I want but it does have plenty of alcohol. BLAH best describes it. I think I will give it several months in a neutral barrel, add some oak and tannins and blend with a 4 or 5 bottles of my delicious 2012 Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone.

Comments? Suggestions?

I would never purchase another Meg kit and ask for a full refund or replacement kit. You spent close to $200 for that kit and now it has been stripped of all color and aroma which is one of the reasons you purchased it in the first place. Sounds like cooking wine Tony.

I agree that it sounds like the price of getting it to clear at this point is too costly. The wine probably has been stripped down at this point. Very disappointing situation considering the price of the kit.

All good comments. They should have replaced or refunded on my first complaint. Instead they had me jump through the hoops of two more clearings. For a refund they want me to send a sample if it doesnt clear. Well its clear. I have six gallons of blah. My goal now is to give it enough flavor to use for topping up and cooking. Well see if a few months of barrel time helps. I doubt its as bad as i make it out to be but im just so angry at poor business ethics.

Tony, as we used to say when I was in Sales, "Sell it as a feature!" Have you seen the price of herb flavored vinegars? A 5 or 6 ounce bottle can be $4 or more. Get some vinegar starter and make a huge batch of vinegar. Then get garlic, rosemary, basil, etc. and flavor some 1 or 2 gallon batches, bottle it in 375 ml bottles and sell it or give it as gifts. People really enjoy a good wine vinegar. You may have come upon a whole new career!

"If life hands you lemons, make lemonade."

All good comments. They should have replaced or refunded on my first complaint. Instead they had me jump through the hoops of two more clearings. For a refund they want me to send a sample if it doesnt clear. Well its clear. I have six gallons of blah. My goal now is to give it enough flavor to use for topping up and cooking. Well see if a few months of barrel time helps. I doubt its as bad as i make it out to be but im just so angry at poor business ethics.
I'm quite sure other manufacturers would have replaced that kit a long time ago. Still, send them a sample of your "Rose", and make sure it is clear to them that it is not supposed to be a "Rose".

I had a similar situation with a Mosti Vinifera Noble Barolo. I called George and sent him pictures. He would have credited me the entire kit but I had been using it as a rose and as topping off fodder so he offered a $50 credit. I'm sure he got this resolved with Mosti. If you purchased from FVW, George will take care of it.

I had a similar situation with a Mosti Vinifera Noble Barolo. I called George and sent him pictures. He would have credited me the entire kit but I had been using it as a rose and as topping off fodder so he offered a $50 credit. I'm sure he got this resolved with Mosti. If you purchased from FVW, George will take care of it.

I did buy it from George and he has been involved all along the way. I think I am going to take weinh's advice and send George a split.

In case anyone except me is bothered about this, I can now report that the third Meglioli limited kit purchased this year, the Chardonnay del Vineto HAS NOT CLEARED after over a month with the inept clearing agents provided by Mosti Mondaile. I have now done a second clearing with Superkleer. Mosti and FVW should both be ashamed.

Have I mentioned how delicious my Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone is?

Thanks Mike you are always there with a word of encouragement. Hahaha

its not just mosti

Tony,
I make a couple of Winexpert off dry whites. I gave up trying to work with issinglass, and switched to supercleer for those kits. Never looked back.

Have I mentioned how delicious my Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone is?

Good to know, good to hear. I basically went into this hobby to make (comparatively) cheap Amarone. The CC Amarone was one of the first kits I made (#3 to be exact). I am now going to go through the varietal lineup again, and was looking ahead to see which Amarone I should get. Perhaps I'll just repeat the CC Showcase!

Sorry Tony,

I gave up on MM years ago. Made most everything in the Renaissance line and quite a few AJ's. Was not impressed with any of them really compared to CC and RJS line.

I would ask for a refund from FVW this is just plain ridiculous for a almost $200 kit wine……..

Thanks Mike you are always there with a word of encouragement. Hahaha

Just to close this final chapter I can report all faith in the Fine Vine Wine custoemr service has been restored. Today I emailed George at FVW explaining that the Chardonnay also took two clearings and how disappointed I am that he has let Mosti drag their feet on this unhappy customer. Within minutes I received a reply that Mosti wanted to replace the kits or give me credit towards other Mosti kits. I'm betting that George made that decision for them.

That and an indication that changes are being made to insure proper clearing on next years kits, makes me feel my struggle of the last few months may pay off for all of us that like some of the Mosti products.

THE END

Glad you're getting good closure on this, Tony. And (not that I'm surprised) I'm glad to see George (and Mosti) standing by his customers.

Now that that is behind us, what are you going to do with that credit? ;)

BB, so far I'm going to book next years Meglioli Nebbliolo assuming they change the clearing process. I am also going to try the Renaissance Impressions OV Merlot. Can you believe that after over 60 kits i'm going to do my FIRST Merlot.

Damn this company is frustrating. Some of the replacement kits still took two clearings but turned out okay. I worked with them tweaking up until bottling. They were very decent at bottling. Mosti has now announced that they have replaced the siligel and liquigel with other clearing agents. But older inventory still has the sili and liqui. Really?

Now the really frustrating part . . . Last night I opened my 2013 bottled Meglioli Amarone. It's delicious! The more I gripe about the efforts these Mosti require the more delicious they seem to get in years 2 to 4. Unless one of you stops me I will likely order another Meglioli or two for next year.

You sir are a glutton for your own punishment! I read in George's email they had swapped out the clearing agents. Now you keep telling everybody how much easier kits are than fresh grapes! :)

Latest posts

Back