Mosti Mondiale Arrrg Meglioli not clearing AGAIN

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I can't believe this is happening again. I swore I would never do another MM Meglioli again because they are so difficult to clear and take so long to get good/great. So I ordered two again this year, an Amarone and Roso Intensio. Well guess what I started the Amarone several weeks ago and after three weeks of clearing it's still extremely cloudy. The amount of Siligel ad Liquigel must not be near enough for the Meg kits. It seems to be fine in the Renn kits but not the Megs. This is so aggravating when you pay $200.00 for these kits. This isn't a new problem, I have complained to George at FVW and it's his responsibility as the master retailer to pass that along. So I spend the extra time and money to do a second clearing on my wine. As good as the CC Showcase Amarone seems to have turned out last fall Mosti may have just lost a pretty good customer.

Sorry to hear that Tony. I noticed one thing with my last Eclipse kit which only comes with a large pack of Chitosan AND you don't rack before you add it, that that thing started to clear right before my eyes the moment I stopped stirring with the drill. It was crystal clear in 24 hours. I did an EP kit 2 weeks later with the two part fining agents (like CC) and that thing is still hazy after a full week.

I am starting to think WE might just have it right. Toss the Kieselsol, leave the gross lees on, add only the Chitosan and stir. 24 hours later, BOOM, clear wine, rack off the gross lees and fines, top off and bulk age. :db

So Mike, I have a pack of Super-Kleer. One side of the pack (smaller) is Kieselsol the other (larger) is Chitosan. There is a fair amount of finings in the bottom of the carboy. Seems like I should rack off of that then add the Chitosan to avoid any reaction to the Siligel and Liquigel. And skip the Kieselsol. What do you think. And let me say once more that I should not have to be doing this with a $200.00 kit! Someone should feel my pain. :(

Make sure you follow the instruction on the Super Kleer, you add those packs at different times

For the Chitosan to work that way I think it has to have all the gross lees on including the bentonite. If you have already racked off the gross lees then you will need to use both. Remember that one will bind with (-) ions and the other with (+) ions in the wine. What I would do is practice the 3 PPP's here. You don't want to add a second round of fining agents and potentially strip out more flavor from a very expensive kit unless absolutely necessary. I would let it sit for another month and only then if it is not visibly clear then hit it again and use both packs added in proper order.

Man am I pi$$ed. I started the MMM Rosa Intensio several weeks ago and it has been clearing for over a month. Guess what . . . yep, it's not very clear. I am not going to clear it again, to He11 with it. I'm racking it to glass and letting it sit a few months, then barrel for three months. Maybe glass for a few months more after that. If it drops more before bottling - fine. If not that's fine too, but aggravating. I know it till taste good in a few years but hate to see if it drops more in bottle. It will never be entered in any of the competitions even though I expect it will be delicious. THEN PEOPLE ASK WHY MOSTI KITS DON'T WIN MANY MADALS, COULD BE BECAUSE THOSE OF US WHO MAKE THEM DON'T ENTER THEM.

LOL! I feel your pain Tony. Hopefully time will do the job. This isn't a ready to bottle in six weeks kit by ANY means!

Honestly, I dont see what the big deal about it not being clear yet is. I mean, its not like it will be ready to drink for at least a year, so why be upset it is not clear?

Honestly, I dont see what the big deal about it not being clear yet is. I mean, its not like it will be ready to drink for at least a year, so why be upset it is not clear?
Because every other kit brand I make, CC, RJS, WE, they all clear just fine. Mosti Meglioli kits have clearing issues and they choose to ignore it. If they weren't so darn good after two or three years I wouldn't keep making them.

And Seth, keep in mind 90% of my posts are tongue in cheek, as is this one, so don't take offense. :db

Last edited:
Update on the MMM Rojo Intensio. I bottled it end of January after filtering and a month of Cold Stabilizing. I used a bottle to do some topping up tonight and WOW. This is really good after only a month in bottle. I know its going to evolve over two years more but its really off to a good start. Too bad these MMM kits are so darn expensive and frustrating. Got three of them for this year.

I can't believe this is happening again. I swore I would never do another MM Meglioli again because they are so difficult to clear and take so long to get good/great. So I ordered two again this year, an Amarone and Roso Intensio. Well guess what I started the Amarone several weeks ago and after three weeks of clearing it's still extremely cloudy. The amount of Siligel ad Liquigel must not be near enough for the Meg kits. It seems to be fine in the Renn kits but not the Megs. This is so aggravating when you pay $200.00 for these kits. This isn't a new problem, I have complained to George at FVW and it's his responsibility as the master retailer to pass that along. So I spend the extra time and money to do a second clearing on my wine. As good as the CC Showcase Amarone seems to have turned out last fall Mosti may have just lost a pretty good customer.

Hi TonyT, I bottle my very first MM kit (Barolo) in January. I too noticed it wasn't very clear. I wonder though, if all of the total suspended solids is what makes these taste so good?? Is your reason to clear, more for aesthetics, or is there a risk that if the solids drop in the bottle, it will spoil the wine sooner than if it had been cleared??

I have a MM Sicilian Primitivo on pre-order and am wondering if I should use something different (Chitosan/Keisesol) to clear it, other than what the kit comes with.

Ive only had the pleasure of the Barolo years ago and despite its price and clearing problem I guess the end result is just WOW!

Cucarcha
Yes wine diamonds will continue to settle in bottle and it is still not very clear. Some think the diamonds are a sign of quality juice. I don't mind thick dark wine but cloudy haze is unappealing. I don't think spoiling is an issue. I just want clean looking wine. I no longer use the inept clearing agents that come with the MM kits I use SuperKlear instead and cold stabilize to remove the diamonds. I have the MMM Amarone on deck and the MMM Old Vine Zen on order. Looking for both to be fantastic.

Last edited:
I have never done one of these kits but have been interested in trying. I hear the great things about the way they taste after quite some time. I'm wondering with all the clearing issues that you guys talk about, if I were to just Bulk age for a year before bottling, what it basically be clear by then? Or is that part of the problem I'm reading about?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have never done one of these kits but have been interested in trying. I hear the great things about the way they taste after quite some time. I'm wondering with all the clearing issues that you guys talk about, if I were to just Bulk age for a year before bottling, what it basically be clear by then? Or is that part of the problem I'm reading about?

I usually bulk age 6 months after clearing so I can't answer your question about waiting a year. You could always wait the year and then clear if need be. I would rack a least half way through in order to get the wine off of any old yeast. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

From what I've gathered, I would agree racking occasionally during the year as I see sediment buildup would probably be good.

Update: I can't believe that this MMM Amarone WILL NOT CLEAR! After two rounds of clearing agents it's still cloudy. George has talked to Mosti at least twice. after the MMM inept clearing agents failed they suggested and provided SuperKleer. That too has failed, in fact it is absolutely no more clear. So now instead of doing the RIGHT THING they are sending 4 packs of bentonite with instructions on how to use that for clearing. After three clearings could there be any taste? I can't even use this for topping up, it would only cloud up good wine. Then IF it still doesn't clear they want me to send them a sample and they will refund my dollar investment. THIS IS NOT HOW I DO BUSINESS IN MY COMPANY (pardon my screaming). As they say down on the border, Adios.

Latest posts

Back