Stirring on second day?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick00

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making a grand cru red wine that has grape skins as well as oak chips. It says to stir at least every two days. I plan on stirring it everyday I get home but should I wait at least 48hrs before the first stir so fermentation has a chance to really get going? Also how hard/long should it be stirred? Am I trying to foam the wine full of fresh oxygen with a vigorous stir, or just mixing in the top layer with the wine beneath? Thanks..

I believe you are just mixing the layers as you suggest - I'm not sure if adding oxygen is part of it but, in any case, I stir it gently.

Alright thanks, yeah I assumed you didn't want to disturb bottom sediment too much.

During primary fermentation - I stir pretty good.

I like to make sure the yeast get what they need and are mixed back into the must...

I agree with Jon. If the skins are inside a cloth bag, even though it won't stay down more than a few minutes, make sure you punch it down with each stirring.

Alright thanks, yeah I assumed you didn't want to disturb bottom sediment too much.

Maverick, actually you do want to "disturb" the sediment during primary fermentation to re-suspend yeast that has dropped to the bottom. You will have plenty of time to deal with the sediment further on in the process.

Back