How long to keep my primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterCooper

Reaction score
My primary is about two years old now. I don't have any real problems with it except that it has stained somewhat inside.

I haven't used really heavy abrasives but I still worry that the inside is scratched up a bit and that can harbor nasties. I suppose some of you will say the best way to solve the problem is to keep must in it at all times
smiley1.gif
, but my real question is:

How long do you keep equipment? Not just the primary but other things, like stirrers, funnels, strainers etc. that are plastic and prone to scratching?

Plastic, over time, will need to be replaced. For the fermenters, usually about 2-3 years is a good rule of thumb, but before you replace them, clean them with a bleach solution and rinse well. This should give you an additional 3-6 months.

One thing that I have tried to do to prevent scratching is always use a smooth plastic stiring spoon and avoid touching the sides with the drill stirrer. I never use any scouring pads or powders when I clean, only a soft bristle brush or dish cloth with mild soad. I typicallyclean my equipment with oxygen based cleansers and dip everything in K-meta prior to use.

Sanitation is one of my daily duties in my career. geocorn is correct in his advise. A bleach solution of one cup bleach to one gallon is required to destory any living bug/bacteria instantly, and yes rinse well! There isn't anything worse that a chlorinated batch of wine taste or anything for that matter. But, this is only temperary! Those scratches do harbor nasties!

I don't have any rule of thumb. I just keep it as long as it does not have excessive scratching and looks clean. However, I keep all my equipment spotless and clean immediately after use. I've kept fermenters for several years and have not had problems.

Also keep in mind that the seal on the lid may wear out long before the fermenter is in need ofreplacing.

Pete

Be aware that the bottom can fall out too. This may have been a fluke, but after a couple of years and a number of primary fermentations, I noticed a leak around the bottom of my bucket. I put it up on the counter to siphon into a carboy and it leaked a lot more. I tried to pick it up to transfer to a sink and the entire bottom of the bucket detached at the seam. I swear it was like a Warner Brothers cartoon--for an instant I saw a bucket-shaped 6 gallons of wine, and then it collapsed, slamming on to the counter, floor, and through the floor to the basement below.
Again, perhaps a fluke, but I've been extremely careful ever since.

Be aware that the bottom can fall out too. This may have been a fluke, but after a couple of years and a number of primary fermentations, I noticed a leak around the bottom of my bucket. I put it up on the counter to siphon into a carboy and it leaked a lot more. I tried to pick it up to transfer to a sink and the entire bottom of the bucket detached at the seam. I swear it was like a Warner Brothers cartoon--for an instant I saw a bucket-shaped 6 gallons of wine, and then it collapsed, slamming on to the counter, floor, and through the floor to the basement below.
Again, perhaps a fluke, but I've been extremely careful ever since.

Bet there wasn't a whole lot of laughin going on. :ts Arne.

Latest posts

Back