Homemade wine Rack from Scratch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbwenger

Reaction score
2005-07-26_104956_wine_three.jpg

2005-07-26_105026_wine_five.jpg

2005-07-26_105045_Rack2.jpg

2005-07-26_105107_rack3.jpg

Pictured with my Grandparents who helped... My grandfather cut the oak wood from his woodlands about 20 years ago, we used about 8-10 of those planks you see pictured, planed them, cut them, stained it (grandmother).... and the best part, after plaining all those planks, i got bags and bags of fresh american oak chips!!!!! took about 3 weeks (some breaks in between) and will hold 113 bottles... 4ft x 4ft.

BEAUTIFUL!

Could your grandparents come out to Ohio?
smiley2.gif

smiley32.gif

Congratulations on a job SUPERBLY done!!!!

I am EXTREMELY jealous. You and your grandparents did a wonderful job!

thanks, i'm pretty excited about it.... it will be the centerpiece of the up and coming wine cellar

hey Johnny, that's what I need your help for... all donations are appreciated !!!!!

no, but i wanted the stain and varnish smell to subside before i put the bottles in, since they say the smell can creap through the corks and taint the taste of the precious!!!

Correct. Strong odors in the cellar can ruin alot of bottled wine. DO NOT set off bug bombs in the cellar!!!

smiley5.gif

Could that be a good reason for the shrink wraps, besides being just down-right perty?

Hhmmm...never thought of it. They do have holes in the end though. Alot of my bottles don't have them, since I ain't a very fancy guy.

ramona, you're too kind..... shrink wraps i heard were bad for breathing, but after seeing so many nice bottles this weekend (spent a weekend in the Finger Lakes in NY, hit 30 wineries...over 200 wines tasted, was outstanding) i think i might have to go with thefancy and purdy method ... at least for the showcase and aging wines!!!

Sounds like a awesome weekend with all the wine tasting...do most of the wineries charge for a tasting?

Awesome job of the wine rack...it will look super when it is filled with bottles. The only mistake I made on the racks I built inside my wine cellar was the depth of the racks for the 750 ml bottles. There seems to be quite a bit of height difference in 750 ml bottles and I made my racking too deep and yesterday a bottle fell through and smashed at the bottom on the floor....wine and glass everywhere!
smiley7.gif

You will be all set with the style of rack you made and great job!

ouch!!! I threw a back on mine... when i first went to do it, i made the rack 4' by 4' on the inside, not realizing i bought the back for 4' by 4', so i went to drill it in and it fell right through the middle, so i ended up putting on 50 inch backing so my bottles can't fall out the back, (even though its against the wall... its also needed because as you see the piece i am staining, all the pieces are like that, so the rows slide in and out like a puzzle... easy for moving)

anyway, the tastings were great, i would say out of 30 wineries, 10 didn't charge, 10-15 charged a $1, and several charged $2... almost all refunded you if you bought a bottle... they're were a majority that would charge $1 or $2 for a specialty wine (champaigne or ice wines, sometimes a reserve Cab)... and sometimes the pourer would just let you try some for free, Glenora was $2 for 5-6 wines, but he ended up letting me try 14 different ones till it was over (my longest stay of the day)... i had to try the champaigns and fruit wines, offered to pay him for multiple tastings but he wouldn't except... one pourer offered us his waterfront cottage for Friday evening, others would offer extra tastings, one chef took us to a great view of the lake and an after hours get together (although we broke out the microbrews instead of wine)... bottom line, great time, inexpensive, and great people who will help you out if you like talking about wine!!!!

Back