RJ Spagnols Malbec Syrah issues?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stever

Junior
Reaction score
Hello from a long time reader and occasional wine kit maker. I have been making one or two kits for the last five years so not a total rookie. Favorite being the RJS Super Tuscan a couple years back.

To the topic at hand. Started the RJ Spagnols GCI 12 liter Argentine Malbec Syrah on 1-16. SG of 1.082. All is well through primary fermentation. Secondary fermentation to carboy on 1-25. SG of 1.001. Appeared to be a lot of foam on top of primary container and after transfer the carboy was low so I added about a bottle of similar red wine from my collection. Checked on it today, and it appears the foam is still going crazy and has overflowed through the airlock. SG is still 1.001. The photo is about 10 minutes after cleaning the airlock! Actual wine is about 2" below the cork. I do not recall any other kit having so much activity. Any thoughts by the experts or am I worried for no reason?

20170126_133629.jpg

Hello from a long time reader and occasional wine kit maker. I have been making one or two kits for the last five years so not a total rookie. Favorite being the RJS Super Tuscan a couple years back.

To the topic at hand. Started the RJ Spagnols GCI 12 liter Argentine Malbec Syrah on 1-16. SG of 1.082. All is well through primary fermentation. Secondary fermentation to carboy on 1-25. SG of 1.001. Appeared to be a lot of foam on top of primary container and after transfer the carboy was low so I added about a bottle of similar red wine from my collection. Checked on it today, and it appears the foam is still going crazy and has overflowed through the airlock. SG is still 1.001. The photo is about 10 minutes after cleaning the airlock! Actual wine is about 2" below the cork. I do not recall any other kit having so much activity. Any thoughts by the experts or am I worried for no reason?

Worried for no reason. Sometimes when you transfer and fermentation is still really active, and carboy is pretty full, it'll foam into the airlock. Just take the airlock out, clean and sanitize it, add your liquid of choice, and put it back in. It'll settle down and behave as fermentation slows to a halt........

No worries. However, what i usually do is rack into the secondary and NOT top up. Usually around 1.010 or less and the fermentation is slightly still active and will foam some......like your pic. But, never overflows into the airlock. I will leave it for a week or so to finish dry, then i rack again to do degassing/clearing....THEN i top up with wine.

I second the suggestion NOT to top up. Your wine is still producing co2 so the head space is not an issue. I leave my wines for 2 weeks after racking from primary and have never had an issue due to the lower wine level. You can also cool you carboy down a bit and that should slow the fermentaion and foaming

cheers

Thanks for the replies. This morning there was evidence of another small volcano. Appears to be settling down now. Will not top up again :db

Latest posts

Back