But is it Dragon Blood?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
I've been making DB with a berry juice blend instead of actual berries, as its been very dry the last year and I couldn't harvest any berries that won't kill me (price of frozen berries has gone up by 66%). Now I'm wondering, is what I'm making still DB or should I call it flavoured Skeeter Pee?

If you used the DB recipe then call it DB and if the SP recipe was used call it flavored SP.

I've been making DB with a berry juice blend instead of actual berries, as its been very dry the last year and I couldn't harvest any berries that won't kill me (price of frozen berries has gone up by 66%). Now I'm wondering, is what I'm making still DB or should I call it flavoured Skeeter Pee?

How many alterations do you need to make to a recipe before it is no longer the same recipe?
If a home Brewer makes a Budweiser clone and adds different hops does he still need to call it "water", I mean "bud"?

If you make a blueberry DB minus the lemon and triple berries (only using blueberries)
Is it really Blueberry DB or simply blueberry fruit wine?
I have altered the recipe enough that I have not called it DB in years! Mainly because it is just fruit wine!
People have been making wine for thousands of years. When someone makes triple berry wine with a lemon base unaware of the WMT or DB is it DB?

It is your wine call it what you want!

Last edited:
I was wondering who in their right mind would make a BudWater clone.::

Some of us have family, friends & neighbors who are BMC drinkers.
And little by little we are secretly upping the hops on them!

If a home Brewer makes a Budweiser clone and adds different hops does he still need to call it "water", I mean "bud"?

No, it's still horse piss and should be called such!!

As far as whether or not it is Dragon's Blood or not, you can call it "I'm a little teapot" if you want.
I tend to make several wines loosely based on Dragon's Blood. I usually just call it Raspberry DB or Strawberry DB. Or in the case of dried elderberries, I just called it Elder Dragon. It sounded cooler, plus we are big gamers in this house.

As far as whether or not it is Dragon's Blood or not, you can call it "I'm a little teapot" if you want.
I tend to make several wines loosely based on Dragon's Blood. I usually just call it Raspberry DB or Strawberry DB. Or in the case of dried elderberries, I just called it Elder Dragon. It sounded cooler, plus we are big gamers in this house.
Agreed! Elder dragon sounds awesome. I was thinking Brisingr blood because of the golden colour

Out of curiosity, if you admit to being able to call it anything, why do you keep either the "dragon" or "DB" in the name?

Out of curiosity, if you admit to being able to call it anything, why do you keep either the "dragon" or "DB" in the name?

Sentiment, a nod to Dave, too lazy to think up a real name, needs something in the name to identify so I know it has a lot of lemon juice in it and to not serve it to people that get heartburn easily...
Pick one.
It's usually one of the above or a combination of the above.

eta: Plus, we just really like dragons in this house as well.
I did make a hibiscus DB that I just called Hibiscus Lemonade.
Guess it just depends on the day whether or not we rename it or not.

Last edited:
The irony of folks bashing classic American pilsners while discussing what the proper name of a fruit juice and lemon concentrate wine should be is humorous.

:)

Latest posts

Back