What testing equipment to get

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marino

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I've made 6 kits, one fresh juice bucket, and one batch from fresh grapes, but it goes without saying that I'm very new at this.

I have no testing equipment outside of a hydrometer and ph strips. I'm going to have to get some stuff going but I'm trying not to buy redundant stuff and avoid spending thousands of dollars.

Do any of you have suggestions? Can you describe how you came to own stuff? Did yo just buy the top notch vinmetrica setup and that's that?

I appreciate any input you can give

Marino

a ph meter is a must(no pun intended). the Vinemetrica is a good way to start. there are or and cons about measuring SO2 versus just following a measured amount on a schedule. that should help you to decide which version you wish to purchase. I have had a number of ph meters and find the SC300 the best that I have ever used. also they have a pro kit that gives you a magnetic stirrer,burretes etc to aid in acid measurement. I would add that to your mix as funds permit. that should provide a pretty good test lab. sounds corny but also purchase a good set of measurement spoons like used in a kitchen also a quick measuring digital thermometer. a small gram scale of off amazon for about $25 will come in handy also. good luck

I bought a hannah 202 I think was. Had I been more organized, I would have bought a hand held unit for under 50 bucks and saved to (don't want to drop 550 bucks at one time as I am retired) get the vinnmetrica pro kit.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm very new at this so I'm not sure I can make anything that will be drinkable, not to say justify the vinmetrica pro... Though that's what might help me. I wish there was a middle way...

what-testing-equipment-get-

Hi there,
I am a newbie and for sure I would buy a Ph meter if you do not have one.I bought the milwaukee 102. I posted a list of PH meters and there prices.http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f86/ph-testing-meter-prices-advice-40986/You can also do the TA testing with some simple equations and some PH 4.0 and 7.0 solutions. If price is no object than you can spend more money and buy the vinemetrica but that is more money. I am still a newbie at this and will be for some time. The other thing would be a good weigh scale. There are several on amazon which are pretty good. http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f6/milligram-weigh-scales-brands-prices-overall-reviews-42491/

But I am still a rookie so what do I know...a little
Corinth

Thanks, Corinth! Money is an object, but more than that, I want to make sure I can make wine to warrant the vinmetrica and other high end equipment

Latest posts

Back