What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drained this bad boy last night with grilled Tri Tip. Drinking beautifully right now. 100% Cab Sauv. First of two bottles in the cellar.

1126227.jpg

It's been quite a while, but I just popped a bottle of the WE LR blueberry hard lemonade I made last year. Working perfectly with today's 110F heat index.

What year Varis, 2016?

I made 2 batches, one was a juice bucket and a kit.
The kit I started Feb. 2015.
The juice bucket I started Oct. 2014 and did MLF on it.

Once both were bottled I think I got them mixed somehow, so the bottle I opened yesterday I don't know which batch it came from.... :-(
But I can tell you this wine is turning the corner for good..!!

Went to a friend's house for dinner last night (grilled chicken and mudbugs!). I brought the first two bottles of my 2017 Washington Viognier (from a juice bucket). I am well-pleased with this batch. In addition, I brought one of the first bottles of my 2017 Syrah Sloppy Seconds. That is, this was a second-run wine from Red Mountain Syrah skins. It is not great wine, but we decided to give it a try chilled. I thought we might want toss it if it were not up to snuff, but in fact it turned out to be a nice "Porch Pounder" on a hot afternoon when chilled. It is fruity; it has a slightly artificial fruit taste that perhaps comes from the tartaric acid used to acidulate the water. I imagine it would also make an excellent base for sangria or a granita/granité.

Went to a friend's house for dinner last night (grilled chicken and mudbugs!). I brought the first two bottles of my 2017 Washington Viognier (from a juice bucket). I am well-pleased with this batch. In addition, I brought one of the first bottles of my 2017 Syrah Sloppy Seconds. That is, this was a second-run wine from Red Mountain Syrah skins. It is not great wine, but we decided to give it a try chilled. I thought we might want toss it if it were not up to snuff, but in fact it turned out to be a nice "Porch Pounder" on a hot afternoon when chilled. It is fruity; it has a slightly artificial fruit taste that perhaps comes from the tartaric acid used to acidulate the water. I imagine it would also make an excellent base for sangria or a granita/granité.

Good thought on the sangria.

My neighbor suggested that my wife and I try Apothic Brew. The label claims cold brewed coffee was added to the mix, before bottling. It is a typical Apothic wine, tastes slightly, maybe sweet, is the description with a fairly heavy coffee taste. I like coffee, I like red wines, I have a bad some red wines with great coffee notes. This was not one I will purchase again.

Sampling a blend of 2017 sangiovese/barbera 2018 cab sauv/syrah 2018 elderberry that has been on med oak for a few months. Coming along very very nicely.

We drank the first of our blackberry wine from last year. It was our first attempt at wine making. The first bottle went down easily enough, that we popped the cork on a second bottle!

Latest posts

Back