Jelly Palm Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brenda! My jelly palm wine is aging. It had a great taste, but a foul odor after-taste (bad breath) we will let it age another 3 to 6 months before we try it again. I'm sure it will get better.

You could go ahead and transfer it sometime tommorow just make sure you leave enough space at the top so it doesn't overflow while fermenting.

BOB

Guapo... I am glad to hear you did not have to pour it down the drain! I transferred mine to a glass carboy last night and used another airlock that came with a beer kit my hubby bought and I had bubbles in the airlock. I was so excited to see this. I know it is going to take a long while to clear. Right now it looks like a big jug of orange juice sitting on the counter. As soon as I can figure out how to post a picture I will do so.

Brenda D said:
It was about 1.028 this morning. It is still fermenting I can hear it fizzing when I put my ear against the bucket.

My hubby found this on Craigs list today and is on the way to get it. He wants to try brewing beer too and I will have a carboy this evening!

Craigs List

Your husband must try brewing beer! It has a much faster payoff, you can drink it sooner and it is amazing! I started with beer and then moved over to wine and mead. Brewing beer is still my favorite though, maybe because I'm impatient. Having beer that I made to drink helps me to leave the wine and mead alone. A couple of books for him are The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian and How to Brew by John J Palmer. It's a little more time intensive on the front end but so rewarding.

Thanks DZ we will certainly be starting a batch soon!

Do you use the kits or do you buy all the ingredients and use the recipes. We are going to be just as lost on beer making as we were the wine, although just looking at some of the things, it looks a little more simple. At least the beer equipment he purchased explained how to read the hydrometer and attach the airlock. My beginners wine kit assumed you knew this!...LOL

I started with the kits, and they are great! I make my own recipes now as he will too once he gets the hang of it. The kits are nice because they usually have very detailed instructions on how and when to add ingredients to the boil, and when to transfer and bottle. They do not usually contain instructions on the airlock and such but either of the books will and more. The kits are a great place to start though, I would recommend them to anyone.

Also, the process is pretty similar, only, don't aerate the beer once it has started fermenting! Don't stir or anything, just leave it be. After brewing for a couple of years and then moving to wine I found wine very easy and quick to prepare, almost boring. Now I really enjoy the ease of making wine and the payoff is excellent! Expect to spend a little more time when making beer, you should boil the wort for at least an hour, the instructions with the kit will specify how long and when to add certain ingredients like the hops along the way because they don't all get boiled for 60 minutes. With wine, its easier because you just mix everything together and let it go. Beer is very easy, but I was spending a couple of hours brewing on brew day, but its a lot of fun so I don't mind. Now that I have moved to all grain brewing, it's a half day affair for me, but so much fun. I'm excited for you guys, you'll love it, enjoy!
smiley20.gif

JELLY PALM UPDATE!

Today I chilled two bottles of Jelly Palm wine (Recipe Above) that I thought was to be poured out, due to the pungent aroma that it had. It is FABULOUS!!!! I am thrilled to find it to be a very good wine (In my humble opinion)

This was bottled on Feb. 15, 2010 and today is March 13, 2011
(13 months aged) after being in the carboy for about 6 months.

Always glad to report success when facing disaster. I will definately make this again!
smiley2.gif

Guapo:

I have been trying to communicate with you. I don't live far from you if you are still in Robertsdale. I am trying to make some Jelly Palm Wine and I following your recipe. I would like to meet you. :)
Thanks
Karl Andrews

Pindo Palm Wine

I am new to this and wine making. Anyone have a recipe for pindo palm wine? All i see are comments not an actual recipe for wine.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back