Death be to the Handy Cork

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or am I using the wrong sized cork - or is it a practical joke/right of passage thing.

I busted my @$$ with that fr$%^in "handy" cork contraption.

the two handed thing is being ordered tomorrow - unless you all have a better idea.

:) Brad

Not sure what you call the HANDY cork contraption.

There are 2 sizes of cork a #8 and #9. #8 are a little smaller in diameter and those are what you should use in a "hand" corker. #9 are thicker and work great in a floor corker. I bet you got #9. Thats why you are having a hard time inserting them.

If you plan on making alot of wine a floor corker is in your future.

Are you talking about a small tool, smaller than your fist that puts the cork in the bottle?Any way, The two handel is bad enough to deal with. The floor corker on the other hand is a dream to use. I used #9 with the two handel corker andmessed up one out of thirty. Did I tell you that I love the floor corker!?
smiley27.gif

I agree, even with dble lever and corkers it can get frustrating, spend a little more and get a floor corker IMO. If you do decide to get a dble lever corker, get the Portuguese 1!

See, I knew you guys would know.

Yes, the one I have is the plastic plunger type - it is called Handy, I submit it is anything but. I am a big, strong guy - and I broke a sweat after 3 bottles.

I thought George sent me #8s. hmmm - who cares, I need a floor job for sure.

The double handled Portugese looks inviting at $16. Is this a mistake? the one George uses in the video? Looks and works like a big beer capper.

Spoil yourself and get the floor corker...................

You won't regret it.

i AGREE!
smiley20.gif

Trust US get a floor corker. I have the Italian one with brass jaws.
smiley32.gif

You will never regret it!

I have the $65.00 one and it works great but I have never used the Italian one so I can't compare the two.

All I can say i have had my Italian one for 6-7 years and have corked well over 5,000 bottles fromit.

The Portguese (sp) floor corkerwill do I just prefer the Italian one The jaws are brass not plastic. Will never have to be replaced.

The $65 portuguese is the 1 I have also and works great and just like the Italian 1 you can replace the iris. The main difference is that it is not a good idea to use full synthetic corks with the $65 model as the nylon iris just isnt strong enough to compress this very hard material it can can crease the cork causing it to leak, this does not happen with Georges Perfect aggloramate corks which are the best around IMO. I have had mine for 3 years now and love it!!!!!!!!!!! The only other difference is that the Italian one gives you just a bit more leverage with a longer stroke but even my 5 year old son can cork my bottles with ease with the $65 model.

Wade, I believe you sold me. If I were doing 5,000 bottles, like Tepe, I wouldn't even bat an eye, but for starting... I can make another wine kit!

I am never one to cheap out, but I feel the floor model is a step in the right direction.

Now George sells replacement brass jaws - can you mix and match and put those in the 65 dollar model later if needed?

I dont think so bu like i said he sells replacement jaws for this model to and i also produce a lot of wine. Here is a pic of my cellar to prove it!
LeftSideWithDoorRack.jpg

RightSideCellar.jpg

WineRoom.jpg

This unit will last you many years with no problems at all.

I have the $65 dollarfloor corker.I corked about 120 bottles with the two handel. It works ok. Lets say that the corker that you have is like crawling to work . The two handel is like walking and the floor corker is like driving a nice car. Hey!!, Some people like walking!! Not me!!!
smiley36.gif

Good Lawd! I am not worthy! This is fantastic. What a set up. We will have to share Wine and BBQ sometime (I am a BBQ nut).

Portugese floor model, here I come.

Wade, are the 60 dollar kits pretty good? I have only made three kits since Christmas, so no real drinking yet. I don't want to waste my time with mediocre wines.

Maybe this is a new topic or have been gone over 100 times, but your opinion is taken seriously.

oh, good night Rocky - you hit it 110%. That thing is a menace to society. I figure they put that one in there for an initiation hazing. Gotta be something better than that. The corks are dented, not in far enough, bit@#, bit@#, bit@#. 8-}

With the corker that you have now you need a good rubber hammer, a pair of gloves and an indefference to broken glass and spilled wine.
smiley36.gif

kylandsales.com said:
Wade, I believe you sold me. If I were doing 5,000 bottles, like Tepe, I wouldn't even bat an eye, but for starting... I can make another wine kit!

I am never one to cheap out, but I feel the floor model is a step in the right direction.

Now George sells replacement brass jaws - can you mix and match and put those in the 65 dollar model later if needed?

When I bought my original equipment it was a$20 increase to get the floor corker. I got the Portuguese model like Wade. A buddy of mine has the two handed model. The two handed model works ok, but we did a side by side comparison. Ok there is no comparison.

kylandsales.com

Gee if I remember I said there was a floor corker in your future. Just not this fast !
smiley32.gif
LOL.

As you can see we are a very dirverse group. When I bought my floor coorker there was not that much of a differencein price. Either way nothing like a floor coorker.
Enjoy your new toy.
smiley20.gif

When we used the hand corkers it took 2 of us to drive a cork. Poor Bert ran the corkers and I held the bottle so that it wouldn't slide or tip. Welcome to the world of floor corkers!

Latest posts

Back