Where do I take my homemade wine for tasting?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danylko

Junior
Reaction score
Hi there! I am new to the site and wanted to post a question. My homemade wine is almost complete. I have been able to taste it and can safely say that it is close to 100% and will be done in about 2 weeks.

I have started out making a Carbernet-Shiraz as well as a Pinot Grigio. Both wines, when I started the first time around, were just horrible. I learned from the experience, corrected my mistakes and have since done another batch of both which will be enough for 25 bottles of the Cab-Shiraz and 25 bottles of the Pinot Grigio.

Now comes the question. I have a decent amount of friends that I want to try this wine. However, I do NOT want to host a private wine tasting party at my home. The main reason for this is because a lot of friends live in different areas, so I want to have a centralized location.

Where do I take my homemade wine to be tasted by my friends? Do I need to speak to a winery to rent out for a few hours? Are there private places or any kind of conventions that let you do this? By the way, I am not looking to sell my wine just yet. I want to see what reactions are first.

Tailgate party - college or Pro

Rent a hotel room / suite. See if you can rent a meeting room at a hotel. The only problem with that is they may not allow outside food / beverage. So a suite may be a better idea.

Ask another friend to host the party and you bring the wine.

Check with local Knights of Columbus, Elks Lodge, Moose Lodge, Masonic Temple or other type of rental halls to see if they have meeting rooms available.

the only issue that you could run into is the liquor liability issue....if you use a friends house...or your own, you are making your friend liable...responsible is a better word....if your house is used then you incur the responsibility

having said that...if you know your recipients ( of your wine) well then likely you are all set...but your wine if imbibed in conjunction w some other liquor is a co-issue if a problem arised

if you find a facility that would allow you to use their license to pour then you have to also be liable for taxation and licensing is an issue

any facility that allows picnicing and states outright or by inference that alcoholic beverages are allowed is your best and simplest bet

when i have had events, i naturally only permit my wine...but i also require a police officer to be present

just some points to consider in your search

You must host some wild parties if the police are involved....

when the event is for people that i do not know, i require it, why risk everything?.....if i didnt it would be akin to letting the *average* people in public schools teach my kids... :)

I don't know about laws in your area but in Texas some restaurants have license that allows customers to bring in their own wine or beer. These are restaurants that do not have beer and wine licenses to sell. If you have such restaurants you could have a dutch treat dinner and you provide the wine.

Bring it and them to my house. I'll invite all the Western Pa'ers (and there are a lot of them), and we'll give you an honest opinion. LOL :sm

I don't know about laws in your area but in Texas some restaurants have license that allows customers to bring in their own wine or beer. These are restaurants that do not have beer and wine licenses to sell. If you have such restaurants you could have a dutch treat dinner and you provide the wine.

I agree. Find a BYOB restaurant. You and you friends can then also have a meal.

I agree. Find a BYOB restaurant. You and you friends can then also have a meal.

Just double check with your states liquor control on the whole BYOB thing. Right now there is a big fight going on in Michigan about this. It is all about how the law is written. The state says it is written this way, restaurant owners say it is written that way.

Thanks all, for the feedback on this. So far, I'm leaning towards a BYOB restaurant of some sort. I'll just have to warn them ahead of time that they will have lots of people for some business lol

I thought about renting out the room in the hotel, like one of the party rooms they use, but it gets a bit pricey. I love my friends and will love my wine, but I'm not willing to spend that much money just yet!

I thought about renting out the room in the hotel, like one of the party rooms they use, but it gets a bit pricey. I love my friends and will love my wine, but I'm not willing to spend that much money just yet!

ehhh... Just remember it's only money and besides, it only cost 80% more to go first class. :D

Last edited:
.......Where do I take my homemade wine to be tasted by my friends? Do I need to speak to a winery to rent out for a few hours? Are there private places or any kind of conventions that let you do this? By the way, I am not looking to sell my wine just yet. I want to see what reactions are first.......
The hotel room sounds like a good fit. As long as you've paid for the room, they won't care what you do in there as long as you don't get too crazy.

Keep in mind that in most places you can't sell your wine without proper paperwork, fees, and licensing at the Fed, state, and local levels.

Not sure about down there but in this area restaurants that allow you to bring your own wine usually charge a corkage fee and sometimes it can be quite hefty, so make sure you check that as well.

You CANNOT sell homemade wine...period.

Also, if you can tell a wine will be "ready in 2 weeks" you must waaaaaay better than almost everyone in the wine world. Time is measured in years, not weeks in the wine world.

Some states do not even allow homemade wine to be shared off the premises from which it was made or to even be shared at organized tasting events.

Latest posts

Back