How to make a gallon of vinegar from my wine with a quart of store bought?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
I have some wine I made that I don't care for and want to turn it to vinegar.

How do I make a gallon of vinegar from my wine with a quart of store bought red wine vinegar?

Would it work if I add 2 cup of mine to the store bought, leave the top off, then every so often add 50% more (ex. 3 cups, 4.5c, etc).

If so, how often should I add more?

you dont need to do anything at all..each year i take for example an exces of five gallons of pressed grapes from my vineyard, take it to my house place on a covered porch w cheeescloth on top...leave for a couple of months...come back and you have the best vinegar you can get

you can go your route or even buy a 'mother' but the truth is...you do not need to do anything at all but expose your wine to the air and leave it

you dont need to do anything at all..each year i take for example an exces of five gallons of pressed grapes from my vineyard, take it to my house place on a covered porch w cheeescloth on top...leave for a couple of months...come back and you have the best vinegar you can get

you can go your route or even buy a 'mother' but the truth is...you do not need to do anything at all but expose your wine to the air and leave it

Thanks!

Will try that, so leave it in the carboy, or in the primary?

re the open that the top is the better...i do this in the fall after harvest...that is the most suitable time...really any good weather period

I've read that vinegar likes warm temps, shoot for 80ish degrees if possible.

I also wouldn't make vinegar in close proximity with your wine making, keep them apart to prevent accidental cross contamination. Vinegar also doesn't like direct sunlight, so keep it tucked away. Maybe a furnace room or on a hot water heater?

I make mine in a gallon glass jar doing what you described in your first post. I bought organic vinegar as a starter. The label even indicates that it contains the mother. I used it and slowly added wine over time. I give it a month or so to complete. As I need some, I pour it through a paper coffee filter to get out the big stuff, but fine particles still get through. Tastes great, I use it for all my cooking now. It's also great on fried potatoes or french fries.

So the swill I made from a second pressing, that I stabilized, will turn to vinegar if exposed to air? bk

wine needs a specific type of bacteria in order to convert to vinegar. There is no gaurentee that leaving the wine open to the air will, in fact, produce vinegar as opposed to spoiled wine.

Using store bought my very well produce vinegar provided that the store bought is "organic" and not pasturized or distilled.

My advise is to get you hands on some "mother of vinegar". This is a bacteria culture that will convert wine into vinegar.

wine needs a specific type of bacteria in order to convert to vinegar. There is no gaurentee that leaving the wine open to the air will, in fact, produce vinegar as opposed to spoiled wine.

Using store bought my very well produce vinegar provided that the store bought is "organic" and not pasturized or distilled.

My advise is to get you hands on some "mother of vinegar". This is a bacteria culture that will convert wine into vinegar.

I agree with this comment. My first attempt at making vinegar failed completely.
All that I did was expose some wine to the open air and nothing happened. I waited about 6 months and still no vinegar. There are no fruit flies around my house so maybe this is what is needed to make vinegar.
I finally did manage to make some excellent vinegar by purchasing some unpasteurized malt vinegar that I used as a starter.

I agree with this comment. My first attempt at making vinegar failed completely.
All that I did was expose some wine to the open air and nothing happened. I waited about 6 months and still no vinegar. There are no fruit flies around my house so maybe this is what is needed to make vinegar.
I finally did manage to make some excellent vinegar by purchasing some unpasteurized malt vinegar that I used as a starter.

Thanks! Am going to try that.

"wine needs a specific type of bacteria in order to convert to vinegar. There is no gaurentee that leaving the wine open to the air will, in fact, produce vinegar as opposed to spoiled wine. "
also:

"I agree with this comment. My first attempt at making vinegar failed completely.
All that I did was expose some wine to the open air and nothing happened. I waited about 6 months and still no vinegar. There are no fruit flies around my house so maybe this is what is needed to make vinegar."

the specific type of vinegar bacteria you need is all around you outside...just watch an grapes drop from a vine...the bees end up finding it and get drunk...if their is any left you will even get the vinegar taste

i have never had a failed attempt at vinegar

make sure the 'wine' that you place outside under cheesecloth has not been stabilized ;)

and fruit flies are not needed

"wine needs a specific type of bacteria in order to convert to vinegar. There is no gaurentee that leaving the wine open to the air will, in fact, produce vinegar as opposed to spoiled wine. "
also:

"I agree with this comment. My first attempt at making vinegar failed completely.
All that I did was expose some wine to the open air and nothing happened. I waited about 6 months and still no vinegar. There are no fruit flies around my house so maybe this is what is needed to make vinegar."

the specific type of vinegar bacteria you need is all around you outside...just watch an grapes drop from a vine...the bees end up finding it and get drunk...if their is any left you will even get the vinegar taste

i have never had a failed attempt at vinegar

make sure the 'wine' that you place outside under cheesecloth has not been stabilized ;)

and fruit flies are not needed

Al,

Much like natural yeast, there are many strains of vinegar bacteria that exist in the wild. Exact type and concentration vary from area to area and season to season.

The problems you can encounter with "natural" venegar making are the same as the problems you face with natural fermentation. You can never predict the exact strain or concentration of vinegar producing bacteria (if any at all).

You also have as much chance of contracting a harmful microbe as you do in contracting a helpful one.

The exact same reasons why professional wineries use cultured yeast apply to making vinegar. I am not saying that the natural way will not work. All I am saying is that using a vinegar culture will reduce risks and give you the best chance of success.

Latest posts

Back