What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took some samples of last Fall's wines tonight, started with the local Cab Franc and the Lanza Zinfandel. Nice wines, so went back at the Lanza Zin, but tipped the 3 gallon carboy. Boy, that was a treat. Had to look back at my notes and noticed the 3 gallon carboy got 8 Xoakers (Med+ French), whereas the 5 gallon carboy just got 60 g of American Med+ cubes. The Xoaker batch is showing a nice amount of Vanilla in the finish, already noticeable even though they have only been in there since November. If I had to enter one of the Zin's in a contest today, I'd go for the Xoaker batch at this point. We'll see what plays out down the line as they age.

2-25-17_zin-#2.jpg

Tonight I opened up a bottle of the first wine I ever made (not that old, just from last October.) It was what I made when I had no idea what I was doing. It was an apple wine that had triple-berry fruit added to the glass jug. That fruit lasted not even 24 hours before blowing out! One of my first lessons learned.

Well I decided to try it this evening. It has improved a lot since I bottled it. I had thought I back-sweetened it too much initially, but it's blending together much better now. The apple taste is much more noticeable as well. Apparently with time most things will get better! At least that's what I'm telling myself. I also bottled my gallon of blackberry port, and that has a lot of aging to do. According to Jack Keller it's supposed to be ready in a year, but will improve for several years. This is the first one I've made that I'm thinking "yep, it really does need to wait that long." I also tasted a little bit of a berry mead that is finishing up in primary right now. That tastes like it will be ready to drink much faster than the port is.

Took some samples of last Fall's wines tonight,...and the Lanza Zinfandel. Nice wines, so went back at the Lanza Zin, but tipped the 3 gallon carboy. Boy, that was a treat.

It is good. I haven't even oaked mine yet, but its delicious.

A glass of new-wine from a hard cider I racked to secondary today. 9.85% ABV. Bidding farewell to the yeast tonight. Half of the batch will be jacked, the balance will bulk age and racked clear. Can't wait to side by side them during the holidays.

I quietly snuck in behind Craig and took a quick pic of his wines aging in the basement. Wow you must have to tip them a lot to get a sample these days! :)

10-empties.jpg

Took some samples of last Fall's wines tonight, started with the local Cab Franc and the Lanza Zinfandel. Nice wines, so went back at the Lanza Zin, but tipped the 3 gallon carboy. Boy, that was a treat. Had to look back at my notes and noticed the 3 gallon carboy got 8 Xoakers (Med+ French), whereas the 5 gallon carboy just got 60 g of American Med+ cubes. The Xoaker batch is showing a nice amount of Vanilla in the finish, already noticeable even though they have only been in there since November. If I had to enter one of the Zin's in a contest today, I'd go for the Xoaker batch at this point. We'll see what plays out down the line as they age.

I quietly snuck in behind Craig and took a quick pic of his wines aging in the basement. Wow you must have to tip them a lot to get a sample these days! :)

10-empties.jpg

Hey, I resemble that comment!

Almost made it a full two months without a single tipped carboy, so I'm getting better...

Edit: proof that I do still have some wine. The small carboy in the first image without the dust is the one I tipped last night.

2-26-17_carboy-1.jpg

2-26-17_carboy-2.jpg

2-26-17_carboy-3.jpg

Last edited:
I opened the last bottle of a batch of 2006 Seven Deadly Zins that I laid down 9 years ago. I had been reticent to open that last bottle, but I am glad I did -- it is well-nigh perfect, but I think it is indeed on the downslope. It is rich and jammy and meaty. Perfect for the grilled lamb I am preparing.

Last night I bottled my 2016 Zinfandel and Shiraz. I drank what wouldn't fill a 375lm bottle of both of them. The Shiraz was my first wine I ever made and added the sorbate not knowing any better. Needless to say, I can taste the sorbate in it. :( I learned quickly. The Zinfandel that I started three months later, taste very good with no sorbate flavor. (as none was added)

I have noticed though. When I do use sorbate and back-sweeten the wine. The sweetness does kind of hide that sorbate flavor which I appreciate since it's pretty much a requirement.

Either way, that Lodi Zinfandel is going to be very good. It's quite tasty already.

Last night, my community wine tasting group went out for a Mardi Gras dinner. This Amarone was one of the wines we ordered. It was without question the star of all the wines we tried last night.

I will definitely be looking for more today!

ic2Dz2SacBuHivnSOhPZee3dWWOvBjQJhi2-mpPEHxfCOgmTGN_u8zOBxrArxnwfckM6uJBB-GIdvqum6D2esgIHnMbRqJArIlbyCMDKjgqAp-lDium04i9HC1AtBYld6ZS0mKxw0YJmp4qrulGFJ0MbPzDyl8Mu7EMrwK00YSHZBntuPJJdX3kPwJ3bJJgHLRoBbcSrkIE2w5U7nZ2IESOjsOVvudZTx7N4tLgXfJVjbd6rC_8UOacVpcMvgbP9vWnF7ppPUDrGga69oL9rZFvh6V7HxX47lbrKTNuNrIZHeZeFncO1r2pAAft_G4Bnu29GAmg8cBIQzP-KlubDG7tQbe4N7rdD8X80Ak3PS10-le6jqBHCrHEXdpIuLwfOf1aZ5-4a98JAw15RHl9xJxxAZP3FUZiX6nxok52fAaChZAp5eFRlZxtPret1HUd6U7xKihwBhee1CWF14158u5-FhaysPyd6Uryrir0QjQMXWnW_4DRrZaZm9mclctoai2qAkiIqCoXswQs0b48hyBKpKVKSBFifCkIMY5CeYIaN4VWrVtyYlXPdRFKSqGNdonqsVJu9UcWg06joB8rkGJe9Do_H56lcGIRQTdo0eHcf7q-qzqxJklduhIxj60xhkTHs9bXWb4ud7YbzpNC7ZF9gfC0Oy86InWpbtxbKFgw=w578-h770-no

David,

Am in San Antonio for a few days visiting family. Picked up a bottle today to go with dinner. Paid $19.99 at a local Sprouts. Not all that interesting right out of the gates, pretty tight and closed up but give it 30 min air and look out, this was a rock solid OR Pinot Noir at a very attractive price point. 5 Star QPR and a definite bulk buy!

2015 Elouan Pinot Noir

A dark rich crimson color. Scents of blueberry, licorice, and sea stones. Very lively cranberries, with a light peppery tobacco tar essence. Late flare of orange zest as it moves into the pungent finish to complete a terrific balance.

@ibglowin I remember you saying that a good Pinot Noir from Oregon start around $50. This one sits around $20-$22 and is very good. What you would expect from a member of the Wagner family. If you come across it, I highly recommend it.

IMG_20170103_195958.jpg

Latest posts

Back