OK here is a really dumb question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koom

Reaction score
What is the difference between red and white wine? I have about 18 gallons of different wine aging. Half concord grape / half white grape, strawberry, and strawberry breeze going now.

Red wine is pressed and left on the juice to absorb some of the color from the skins including but not limited to tannin. White wine is pressed then drained off/away from the skins.

All grape juice is white.

White wines are made from lightly pigmented grapes, usually green, pink or light red. They are crushed right away and then either soaked for a day and pressed or pressed right after crushing.

Red wines are made from more highly pigmented grapes. They are crushed/destemmed and then fermented with the skins and juices combined. The skins float to the top as the C02 levels rise and form a cap. Thae cap needs punching down a couple times a day to submerge it in the fermenting must. This increases the amounts of pigment (color), tannins and other solids in the wine. Then after about a week or so when it is almost dry, the reds are pressed.

You could let the juice rest upon the skins of the fruit to gain some color, not necessary though. That will add some tannin though adding to it's ability to last longer in the bottle.

Technically, the definition of wine is fermented grape juice. So, when you make a "wine" from other fruits, it falls under the classification of "country wines" or "fruit wines".

You guys are funny but very informative. Thanks for the info

Make's it sound like the humor isn't that funny....:db I thought it was really funny... Maybe the wine fumes are making me as crazy al yall... :b

stop sniffing the airlocks!

:p

Take away all a girls fun why don't ya? I don't have anything ready to drink, so what am I supposed to do? Besides I know you've done it too... Your just still in the closet... a "closet fermenting sniffer":r LOL! I make my wine in the closet, I shouldn't laugh at that... :ib

What are other fruit wines considered?

legally, there are something like 6 or 7 designations for wine. there is wine (from grapes), fruit wine, agricultural wine, marinating wine, etc. i tried to find the atf or maybe it's a ttb link, but couldn't. i've read it a few times.

What if its a fruit's fruit froot-loop flavored wine? :d (say that 10 times fast)

Back