Dumb question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbwines

Junior
Reaction score
Was kinda wondering at what SG do you rack out of the primary? I started at 1.070, added the last bit of stuff at 1.050 like it said. I'm only down to 1.030. I started this last sunday. I guess it is just slower than i'm used to with kits

I wait until below 1.010 and others will snap down the lid at this level, add an airlock and ferment dry before racking. Either way works, lol, the only reason I don't snap down the lid is it is a bi1ch to take off and yes I have the tool to unsnap the lid!

I've had the lid snapped down and airlocked from day one. Was this bad? I did whip it everyday. Have to snap down lid so dog don't drink my wine:h

roflmao, I hear ya, I put up a baby gate so my dogs can't get back to my wine area, no that is not bad, it is fermenting and as long as it is fermenting all is good.

I wait until below 1.010 and others will snap down the lid at this level, add an airlock and ferment dry before racking. Either way works, lol, the only reason I don't snap down the lid is it is a bi1ch to take off and yes I have the tool to unsnap the lid!

I agree with Julie.

Julie I also had one of those tools to remove lids and I found they really destroyed the lids after several uses.

I agree with Julie.

Julie I also had one of those tools to remove lids and I found they really destroyed the lids after several uses.

Mine cracked the lid the first time I used it! Now all my lids are collecting dust.......I just throw the towel over them.

I use the towel to cover it also, then after I clean up everything I use the lid to keep the dust out while it's not being used. :h

Once you snap the lid down, there should be a ring along the bottom of the lid that you can tear off. Once that ring is tirn off, you can remove the lid with your hands and not use the tool. The ring is supposed to be a safety device for shipping full containers of food to stores and/or restaurants. I spent quite a few years in the food industry and those tools are useless. Just take a utility knife and cut the ring to get it started. Then you should be able to simply pull it off.

Back