How Many Campden Tablets?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
I racked my cabernet/merlot blend into the final carboy for bulk aging. The directions state that for aging/holding beyond 6 months I need to add 1/4 teaspoon of Potassium Metabisulphate. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I would like to age this for quite a while and while I don't have any Potassium Metabisulphate, I do have some Campden tablets which I think are the same thing.

My question is, can I use these in place of the Potassium Metabisulphate? And if so, about how much should I use?

Would it be as simple as crushing the tablets until I have 1/4 teaspoon? Or since these are tablets is there a different way to measure?

On a side note this wine smells great. I used the "degasser" that was in the newsletter a couple months ago when I racked the wine-it works fantastic.

Thanks!

Mike,

Since campden tablets should contain roughly .44 grams of K-meta using 3.5 tablets will bring you very close to the target of 1.5 grams (1/4 tsp) of powered K-meta.

Latest posts

Back