mold in 'carboy'

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike75925

Junior
Reaction score
hi, i was trying to make a second wine, when i discovered mold. i am using the method in which you add bread yeast to juice, and cover with cap/balloon/cloth. do i toss, remove mold and transfer to clean sterile vessel? thanks in advance. here's some pics

m2.jpg

P05-03-11_11.33.jpg

For what you have invested, I would transfer it to a clean vessel of appropriate size and "wait and see". I would invest in an airlock. They are very inexpensive. Good Luck.

I agree it looks like yeast and a good fermentation. I would like to see a picture with the entire bottle and balloon while its still going good.

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe the last guy who blew that balloon up was a tobacco chewer or had a bad cold. It's just loosening up and sliding down into your wine. Should be OK. I'd get an airlock.

Looks like yeast and crud from a strong blow. In beer brewing you get a very strong blow of yeast, hops, and other curd that comes to the surface. When this happens it is desirable to get this stuff out of the carboy as it produces off flavors in beer. Brewers like to use a large clear vinyl hose (Dishwasher discharge) that will fit in the neck of the carboy and sealed with duct tape, and place the other end in a bucket of water. After a day or two you can switch to a bung.

If future attempts at this wine produce a strong blow you might want to use a large hose and allow the stuff to blow out of the carboy.

Bread yeast also produces a slightly different sediment, which then gets splattered as it ferments.

Debbie

thanks guys and gals. i figured i had maybe $5 invested in that, had to go out of town to work so i dumped it. for future reference though, would a virgin/wine only siphon bulb be a better idea on getting the must out of a potentially contaminated carboy? my first attempt still hasn't cleared, but as i am working out of town anyway, doesn't bother me too much.

Why did you dump it!!!!!!! You should have just transferred it to another vessel and let it sit!!

wade, i had to go out of town for work. i did not want a mold infestation (if that was the case) when i came back. i now know that it is only a slight issue, and will transfer from now on. what of the siphon idea? i figure it will be a great idea if i keep it at least an 1'' from the bottom.

Thats the thing, it wasnt a mold at all like many stated, it is exactly normal as when a yeast is active it brings everything up to the top and you either rack through or just shake the bottle a bit to let that stuff get to the bottom. We've seen it all here and by no means was that a problem at all. Bummer.

Calm down Wade remember your medication he is a youngen he only has three post and hasn't learned how to listen to what he is told

LOL, sorry, didnt mean to come down on them, just informing them and if they dump out good wine again there will be discipline!!! :)

Wade go directly to the corner and drink a bottle of medication and I will be there shortly because I agree with everyone on this post it don't do us any good if they don't listen

Latest posts

Back