Is something wrong with my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nameless

Junior
Reaction score
Back in September, the wife and I decided we wanted to make an apple and a pumpkin wine from scratch. After the first racking of the wine, we noticed that out of a 5 gallon batch we only got half of that in the carboy (thanks to the build up of the apple/pumpkin mush). So, we decide to supplement the empty space with apple juice to bring the wine up to the neck of the carboy.

Now, after a few days of adding the apple juice to the apple wine, we noticed that fermentation started up again and something thick floating to the top of the carboy. After a bit, we realized it was the apple mush that got racked into the carboy. We notice it was odd that the mush was floating to the top, but after a week or so later, it floated back down.

With our apple spice wine, the same thing occurred. The mush floating to the top, but it doesn't appear fermentation has started again (mainly because we see no bubbles or airlock movement).

The pumpkin wine (after apple juice added) has the same results a the apple spice, in which the mush is now lingering at the top.

All three wines were supplemented with apple juice at the same time, but only one is showing clear signs of fermentation (we never added sorbate to those wines yet because we're going to allow them to do their thing until we're ready to bottle them in Spring) . Should we be concerned that the mush is floating back to the top?

I went ahead and added picture of the wines. The first picture is the apple wine. The next four is the apple spiced, and the last is the pumpkin.

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0399.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

I primary fermented in buckets, but when adding the apple juice, it kicked up fermentation again.

yea I see the one, I tell you i have never seen the stuff thats floating in yours, maybe its the co2 pushing up the lighter must.

it may have been floated to the top because when you added the additional apple juice you gave it sugar to ferment and that is exactly what is its doing. The mush that is floating is probably being brought to the top by the fermentation process. It will probably settle after fermentation stops.

Yep, you are just getting a referment. Your abv. is getting stronger, but now you will have to wait for the ferment to stop in order for the wine to clear. The co2 the yeast is producing is floating the sediment off the bottom. Let it ferment out, rack it off the sediment, let it clear and if you want to add more apple to it, stabilize with k-meta and sorbate. Then you add the apple, but bet you will have a clearing problem. Apple will probably give you a cloudy wine if it has not fermented. We can probably help you get it out if it happens, let us know. Good luck with it, Arne.

You should wait until bottling time to add juice with sugars in it because this is what happens. You need some different sizes of glassware--1 gallon jugs, etc. when you don't have enough wine to fill a carboy. And then add marbles to take up the rest of the headspace, if needed.

Is there special marbles that are used for wine or will any sanitized marbles work?

Saanitized marbles. And marbles with no lead, etc. MoreWine sells marbles that are safe to use. Also MarbleKing.

I bought some glass marbles from Michaels. The package doesn't mention anything about containing lead but says for decoration only... Do you think these are ok?

Latest posts

Back