WELCHS GRAPE RECIPE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA-BOY

Reaction score
I need a first batch recipe for welchs grape juice concentrate. This will be my maiden batch since it has been a very long time since I have made any wine. I have made apple and wild grape but this was my mom's old recipe that was hand written in a old cook book. I have purchased pretty much everything that is needed for wine making, according to the basic wine making books I have read. I plan on making a 5-6 gallon first batch, since welchs is not very expensive. If it goes south then I am not out the cost of fresh fruit. Thanks in advance for any help. LA-BOY

Here is one for a gallon batch. You can adjust ingrediants to make it a 6 gallon

<UL>
<LI>2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
<LI>1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
<LI>2 tsp acid blend
<LI>1 tsp pectic enzyme
<LI>1 tsp yeast nutrient
<LI>water to make 1 gallon
<LI>wine yeast </LI>[/list]
As with ALL recipe's the canned or fresh ingredients you use will differ in there sugar content so you MUST check starting SG before adding sugar amounts listed. The goal is a starting SG of 1090 for alcohol content of 12%-13%. Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles.

How do people drink this wine? I made a batch and it turned out fine but I liked it best served cold. I just wanted to know how most people drink it (meaning what temp?).

Is this sweet or dry? I prefer dry wines, so if sweet, how do I know how to adjust sugar for a dryer version?

Thx!
Jack

I didn't back sweeten mine. I thought it was just off dry. It was much better than I thought it would have been. I will be making another batch this weekend. I made the niagaraas well asthe concord. Both are pretty good but think I like the concord best.

Good to know, I want to try this one out!

How long from time of primary fermentation until you started drinking it?

Again thanks!

I gave it 3 months. But from what I understand you can be drinking it in about 35 days.

I cracked my first bottle at 40 days. I will put up a few to age and try it in a couple years.

Waldo,

Having heard alot about Welch's, I've taken your recipe and made it this evening. SG 1.102, oops!
smiley36.gif

20090715_131842_DSCF0464_pear_a.jpg

Dan

to anyone who's made this recipe, does this wine make you sleepy? I know , I know, all wine makes you sleepy, but really, I made a six gallon batch from Welch's concentrate and it was like Ambian. I was still sleeply the next day after a few glasses.

DrtDoctor

just bottled a gallon of welches concord and after three rackings and filtering thru doubled coffee filters am getting sediment forming in the bottles altho the wine looked clear. What did I do wrong?

2dmoore, sometimes wine that 'seems clear' still drops sediment.

How long was it from start of fermentation to bottling? 3 rackings could be done in the space of a very short time (I speak from experience! LOL) Wine takes time to clear, or it takes a short time with some help of Fining agents, but even when you think you have a nice clear wine, it can still throw sediment - even in the bottle.

Wine can even "look clear" and then when put through even the gravity-filter the before and after can be stunning. The paper coffee filters are designed to screen out the coffee grounds - you won't get the same degree of filtration that a wine specific filter pad can provide.

So - you didn't do anything wrong except to rush to bottling which is not all that wrong really. When you do open your sedimenty bottles, just set the bottle upright for a day or 1/2 a day before opening, open gently, and pour carefully.

let it set a month between rackings and bottling. Thanks for the advice pelican. Will use the right filter next time

I use the gravity filter (cost is neighborhood of $50 +/- depending on retailer). Pads are economical - 6 for $10 usually therabouts. I don't filter all my wines, but the ones that do defintely benefit.

I think my most common after-bottling note is "should have filtered" ! LOL

there are also higher-end filters, which can do a finer level of filtration but I've been happy with the gravity filter (and I like things that don't use electricity - I work in the electric utility industry and soooo many days I'm fantasizing about going back to candles and handpumping my water - it's the handpump part of the dream that wakes me up!! been there don't want to do that again!)

I just started using a gravity filter a few days ago and I agree that it's really worth the extra effort and expense. The finished wines have been beautiful.

This evening I'm starting a welches wine.I want it to be thick and smokey like my first wife.I combined bottled and frozen juice to total 5+ gals.I only watered it with a couple cups with the bentonite and a quart with the 4 lbs sugar.added some tannin and energiser and oaked it well with a charred stick from the smoker.Sg @ 1.093.I plan to fortify it with brandy and give it some time to mature.I hope my yeast doesnt crawl out and run away.

"I want it to be thick and smokey like my first wife"

Never heard this description of a wine before! ROTFLMAO

Anyway, I just started a frozen concentrate wine too - white grape and peach. I am making several that need aging, and thought this would be one that I could drink this spring, after picking strawberries, mulberries, cherries..... you get the idea.....

I used the same recipe as Waldo's here, but used the grape/peach concentrate instead of regular ole grape.....

I used one packet of yeast, and some recipes I see use two. I pitched the yeast last night, and it is fizzing, but not the atomic bomb-looking kind of fermentation. Is that OK?

Also, it is clear on the bottom, and cloudy on top. This seems completely backwards (or upside down) than what I see in pics here normally. So, is this OK too?

No need for 2 yeast packets for this one. I only use 2 packets of yeast if its more then 6 gallons or I am making 3 gallons or more of a high gravity mead (cause honey can be stubborn). As long as you mixed everything up well no need to worry just enjoy the process.
VC

Latest posts

Back