DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I finally caught up to the current posts after reading the whole Dragon Blood Thread. I can't say enough about this forum and what I've learned in the last 3 weeks. I've got 5 pages of notes and 8 recipes from this thread alone! I'm bottling my first batch today and it is fantastic! I've been stealing glasses out of the carboy for about a week already. Can't wait to see how much better it will get in a couple of months. (like it will last that long) Ordered my 20 gal Brute today and will start my second DB this afternoon (Mango, Peach, Pineapple).

Once again, thank you all for being so patient with apprentice brewers and sharing the vast knowledge you all have acquired.

Even though I've been brewing kits for several years (and not really understanding what all the packets were or what they did), this has been like a shot of adrenaline in a glass-what fun!!

My wife has been starting to use the "obsession" word lately. :sh Are there therapy classes available? :dg

If it were me and my wife the operative word coming from her would likely be... pitiful!
smilie.gif

My wife tells me the same thing... And the worst part is, i cant even get her to taste some of my DB, she never drinks alcohol, and even if she would, she's nursing, and is afraid of getting our kid drunk! :D

I cant find the yeast energizer, am I in big trouble without it?

Hi Aleks, I'm on my first batch of DB, and I didn't either use energizer. It doesn't seem to be making a difference yet. I started at an SG of 1.086 and am down to 1.032 5 days later.
I've read places (some more experienced winemakers on the forum can correct me if I'm wrong) that lemon juice can act as an energizer, and the recipe calls for that, so you (and I) are in good luck...
Good luck and let us know how yours goes!

Last edited:
Lemon adds the acidity. But you will more than likely be fine without the energizer. Just sometimes lemon juice can be a pain to ferment.

From Dragon's Blood #1 Bottled on 6/13. Only 6 bottles left.

Was supposed to bottle #2 this afternoon, but birthday party for 4 year old grandson got in the way.

#3 (Blue Blood) is in secondary.

Planning #4 as a double batch in the new Brute.

So much Dragon's Blood to be made, so little time.

Opus
20160717_204549-2630.jpg

You have to be careful, those 4-year olds really hurt the reserves! They drink this stuff like Kool-aid! LOL

Forgive me if my question is redundant. I can't search this thread from my phone:
What temp am I looking for in my measurements?

Forgive me if my question is redundant. I can't search this thread from my phone:

What temp am I looking for in my measurements?

Hi Noobbery, no questions are redundant.
Dave says in his first post:
"Keep temp in 68F-80F range. A higher temp will result in a faster fermentation, and a sharper tasting, more colorful wine. A lower temp will produce a paler blush with more fruity aroma and a smoother taste."

Dave says in his first post:
"Keep temp in 68F-80F range. A higher temp will result in a faster fermentation, and a sharper tasting, more colorful wine. A lower temp will produce a paler blush with more fruity aroma and a smoother taste."

Hi Menny,
Thanks for that! I have a line on some crab apples so I think I'm going to give this one a go with those. Don't have a press so cores and stems out and away I go! Anyone else have some suggestions for apples before I get started?

My SG is way below 1000 now but there is a lot of activity. I know to wait until its stabilized but why is my batch look like its boiling? I made a #2 today with 60% blueberry to have something else going :h

My SG is way below 1000 now but there is a lot of activity. I know to wait until its stabilized but why is my batch look like its boiling? I made a #2 today with 60% blueberry to have something else going :h

What was your actual SG reading today? And remember you want to see a reading of .993 - .990 for 3 days in a row and by that time you should not see much or no activity at all.

Will

Last edited:
My SG was 0991, its at 0990 today and it calmed down a bit but its fizzing still.

Ok great. You should be fine. Just follow, Dave's process as shown on the first page and you should be good to go. I just made a couple of copies from Dave's pdf. I you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask. There is some very knowledgeable folks on here.

Will

From Dragon's Blood #1 Bottled on 6/13. Only 6 bottles left.

Was supposed to bottle #2 this afternoon, but birthday party for 4 year old grandson got in the way.

#3 (Blue Blood) is in secondary.

Planning #4 as a double batch in the new Brute.

So much Dragon's Blood to be made, so little time.

Opus
20160717_204549-2630.jpg

I see the big N on the grill. Do you live in Nebraska?

Back