Yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi DarkLoki - and welcome.
I suspect that the yeast will have an attenuation rate of 100%. Unlike grains, sugar in honey is for all intents and purposes 100 percent fermentable to saccharomyces cerevisiae, so the attenuation rate is not applicable (which is why Wyeast list the attenuation rate as NA). Brewers are concerned about attenuation because the same yeast cannot ferment every kind of sugar found in malt so they monitor and calculate the attenuation rates of the different cultures of yeasts they use because each will in fact vary in their ability to get at some of those more complex sugars - which is why beer often has a final gravity of about 1.015 or thereabouts.That sweetness is counterbalanced with the addition of hops or gruit herbs and the like. Wine makers and mead makers typically expect a final fermented gravity of about 0.096 (more or less) although they might then stabilize the mead or wine and backsweeteen it.
The issue for you might be that that yeast will be unable to survive too high a concentration of alcohol but that has nothing to do with the attenuation of the yeast. Wyeast suggest that your use of their "sweet mead yeast" can result in an ABV of about 11%. So, if you are looking for a mead with 10% ABV you will likely manage that and the mead will be dry. I have never used that yeast and have no idea what benefit using such a yeast might offer - I tend to use 71B or D47 when I make mead and will stabilize and backsweeten it if I am looking for a sweeter rather than a dry mead.

Latest posts

Back