New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can sure be proud of the work you did on that room! My wife would never see me again unless she came to "the room".

Now I have to figure out a way to lure you up here to build my room (once I figure out how to pay for it).

Someday when the kids leave the house (I'd give it 15 years at least) and my wife and I start to travel, New Orleans is one of our destinations. I'll have to bring some wine to help stock those somewhat empty shelves.

Thanks Craig, kudos appreciated. Hopefully, in 15 years, il have completed the phase 2 and 3 additions!

before becoming all crippled up I grew up building FHA homes, my first solo with a helper that new zero, I built my first FHA by myself at age 15...., I grandfathered in to federally certified carpenter, plumber, and electrician, then left residential and went into retail commercial contractor, (shopping mall stores)(MALL RAT) after learning frame and hang from the lid down using metal studs and screws, the went into custom laminates then custom trim work, your work makes me wish very hare for my health back, you do fine work, along with having a keen aptitude for design to boot, and from the looks of your work you enjoy building with your own hands, so it has finally happened, you started with a mouth full of marbles, every day you spit out 1 marble a day once you've lost all your marbles you are then a member of splinter getters, you should be proud my man, very proud indeed.
richard:db

Thanks Craig, kudos appreciated. Hopefully, in 15 years, il have completed the phase 2 and 3 additions!

Last edited:
Hi John, When racking out of the barrel, how do you know how deep to go in order not to pull up the lees?
Also, will you be posting your final plans and pricing for the room?

Hi John, When racking out of the barrel, how do you know how deep to go in order not to pull up the lees?
Also, will you be posting your final plans and pricing for the room?

Menny, my wines have typically been racked several times and are 6 months old before going into the barrels, so there's little to no sediment. I rack out of the barrel and into a carboy without using the anti-sediment tip and it will be in the carboy for another few months before final adjustments and bottling. I typically rack to a bottling bucket before bottling.

The plans are posted several pages back. Don't have all of the final costs in just yet.

Looks good. A little glass etching?

That's one of my thoughts. I found a company that produces etched decals for wine room doors and windows. Below is a sample of some of their work, which can by customized both for the size of the opening as well as the text. You can also submit your own design which they use to create one for you.

IMG_0613.jpg

Like the decal idea.. Don't forget about Stained Glass as a possibility

Mrs. JohnD was pretty hyped on the stained glass option, but I didn't want to replace the double insulated glass window with single pane stained glass, just didn't want to give up the R-value. As I looked into that a bit more, you can get a double insulated glass window with stained glass in between the panes, but I'd have to give up my first born for that option, quite pricey. I'd also have to change out the stops on the door to accommodate the thicker glass panel. That's when we ended up looking at different types of covering applications, curtains, films, tints, I even considered hiring an artist to paint something on there.

I am single to much road time so I'm untrained but would stained carpet work instead:: LOL
Dawg

Mrs. JohnD was pretty hyped on the stained glass option, but I didn't want to replace the double insulated glass window with single pane stained glass, just didn't want to give up the R-value. As I looked into that a bit more, you can get a double insulated glass window with stained glass in between the panes, but I'd have to give up my first born for that option, quite pricey. I'd also have to change out the stops on the door to accommodate the thicker glass panel. That's when we ended up looking at different types of covering applications, curtains, films, tints, I even considered hiring an artist to paint something on there.

,, 20 years of untamed un-broken never grew up, I was going to rip up this master piece for Johnd had fed-ex overnight waiting, but I think this might kill a broken house trained man, I better keep it hidden, I had time to think this over if it got our one made it into the early golden years without being broken and trained I am now in fear for my life, man, I was joking Johnd this master piece does not exist, AND SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON YOU FLOANDGARY FOR TRYING TO BAIT ME,, LOL,, whew that was close it's my story an I'm sticking to it NO MATTER WHAT ,, bet you ole tame boys forgot them words can go the other way, naw they cant. just try an see,, you're sworn to silence, remember you accepted me, as flawed as I am, whew close again,
I have been HACKED the big boys are at fault never you angelic ladies,
man yall scare me, you should protect this site instead of teasing all yall's better halves with broken promises of stained what ever, I now know why your better halves say yall are still not properly house trained even after all the years of flawless training from them, i'm as disappointed as they are with ya'll, um on the down low I am still welcome aint I after all the rooster rules the roast but the hen rules the rooster, sorry fellows i'm a coward I got to hang with the winning side, wink , wink
Your Honest Dawg:sm

"R, R, R" Wait,,,, stained with what??:?

Last edited:
A low cost option. Have the kids paint the window, there are special paints that work really well. If you need some kids I have four I'll lend you, ages 17 down to 9.

I have four, thanks. With paint, those are the last creatures I'd allow in the room, that's why it has a key! Protected from my 20, 17, 11, and 9.

Back