Raspberry cello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's in a name. It is perfectly possible to make Raspberrycello the opposite way to Toms method. Fill your jar with Raspberries layered with granulated sugar. Leave several weeks shaking the jar regularly. The sugar will gradually draw the juice from the fruit. When you think it's ready, add whatever base spirit takes your fancy, ie brandy, whisky, vodka, everclear, to taste. If it needs a bit more body, a spoonful of glycerine works wonders.

If anyone is interested, I have a recipe for Portuguese Licoro. This is a chocolate milk and whisky liqueur which looks nothing like you'd expect. If you love chocolate it's well worth trying. I won the liqueur cup in our local show a couple of years back with this recipe. :try

Regards to all, Winemanden.

Yes please.. I'll give that a go.

The bloke thinks that sounds yummy.

Allie

Portuguese Licoro​

1 1/3 cup of Spirit traditionally Whisky or your choice of spirit
1/8 size wedge of lemon
1 1/3 cup of sugar
1 cup + 3tbspn whole milk
6 squares of 85% chocolate
1 vanilla pod
1 tsp glycerine

Put all into a preserving jar, shake twice daily for 10 days then leave to settle.
At first it will look disgusting, like something you've done after a bad night out :s, but it will end up with the gunge on top and a clear yellow liquid below which is what you want.
It is slow to filter but it is possible, if you push the tube carefully in to syphon most of the clear stuff out. Filter the rest as many times as needed through a paper coffee filter.
What you should end up with is a silky smooth golden chocolate liqueur.

Enjoy it, regards, Winemanden. :h

This sounds DELICIOUS! one question..6squares of 85%..what brand do you use? what size package for these squares? Much thanks for sharing this recipe! .. Also appreciate all the 'cello' discussion..chomping at the bit to make both of these tasty bevs :)

The chocolate I used was Lindt 85%, but I'm sure any good quality unsweetened chocolate will do the trick. It must be the dark stuff, don't use milk chocolate, you're adding the milk yourself. This year I shall be using Greens Organic 70% so I shall pop in a couple more squares. Regretfully :slp, I didn't weigh the chocolate, I just adapted the recipe to suit myself.
Here is the original recipe.
Ingredients:
1 quart whiskey
1/2 lemon
4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 quart milk
6 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
2 vanilla beans

Directions:
1. In a gallon container combine whiskey, lemon, sugar, milk, chocolate
squares and vanilla beans. Keep at room temperature for 10 days, stirring
once a day.
2. After 10 days, remove the lemon half, chocolate and vanilla beans. Insert
a coffee filter into a large funnel. pour the liquid through the filter into
a gallon jug. Change filter as needed. A clear yellow solution should
result. This liqueur can be stored in a sealed bottle at room temperature.

My recipe is just a variation because compared to the US. spirits are heavily taxed in the UK.
Anyway, try it and you're sure to love it.
Regards, Winemanden. :h

Latest posts

Back