My first wine press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtydog420

Reaction score
I finally got my first wine press today.. Its homemade with a small grinder built in.. Got it at an antique store for 100 bucks.. Was blown away.. I am going to replace the rusty metal bands on the basket and the metal screws with stainless steel.. Also want to protect the wood with something.. will be a great winter project to get it ready for next fall..

I will post pics when I actually bring it home on thursday cause I didnt have a camera with me today..

Just had to share cause I am excited... Been wanting one since I started a year ago

I just wish I would be able to use it on the new batch of blueberry I am starting tomarrow but I dont want anything rusty anywhere near my wine....

Is it a grape crusher or apple crusher? Pics or you donty have one!:pic:h

apple crusher.. I know I called it a wine press my mistake cause well Im going to be using for wine making.. so really its an apple press with crusher.. will have to get a grape crusher desteamer sometime but I havent touched real grapes yet nor do I have the money too anyway..

And I will post pics on thursday when I pick it up but my camera on phone sucks so I didnt bother taking any and I didnt have my camera on me today.. But they will be coming..

I finally got my first wine press today.. Its homemade with a small grinder built in.. Got it at an antique store for 100 bucks.. Was blown away.. I am going to replace the rusty metal bands on the basket and the metal screws with stainless steel.. Also want to protect the wood with something.. will be a great winter project to get it ready for next fall..

I will post pics when I actually bring it home on thursday cause I didnt have a camera with me today..

Just had to share cause I am excited... Been wanting one since I started a year ago

There is a food grade polyurethane that is remarkable...

(EZ-DO by John Boos & Company).

I just reconditioned my own press and used this stuff on the staves. Man, did it look good!!

When I fininished pressing the grapes this year, the staves just rinsed clean!. No red stains!

The stuff is not cheap (about $25 a pint) and comes as almost a gel. I used a rag to apply (dipping the top and bottom of each stave to really soak them in). Applied two coats (smoothing with steel wool in between).

For a small press (#35 or lower), a pint is just about all you will need.

Great find! It will be fun to restore it to a usable state.

So pictures of my new toy are on hold as I can not locate my camera right now and I am unsure where my girlfriends is at the moment... If it is still light enough by time she gets home, I will take pictures today, if not, I will ASAP..

Thank you for all those people who are interested and gave ideas for fixing it up...

So here are some pictures finally.. My plan is to totally rebuild basket with stainless steal and might get new wood for it too.. Going to power wash whole thing, put a food grade poly on all parts that touch juice and regular poly on rest of wood.. It will be a nice winter project for me..

So here they are.. After pictures will be in the spring

S6300446.jpg

S6300447.jpg

S6300448.jpg

It does but I got it for 100 bucks and should be able to fix it for about 50 to 75 so in the end it will be a pretty good deal..

Latest posts

Back