WineXpert WE Pinot Gris clearing??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
I am a newbie working on my first kit. Doing WE Vintners Reserve Pinot Gris. I followed the directions to a T. After I did step 3, stabilization and clarification, the wine seemed to be clearing nicely. There were distinct layers in the carboy and the top layer seemed really clear. Now the entire carboy is cloudy with no layering other than the sediment on the bottom. It has been 7 days now since i did step 3. Is there something wrong? Or should i Just be more patient? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Calvin this has happened to me before. Here are some things that might affect the clearing process. It could be that the wine needs to be degassed some more. This is an extremely important process and I’ve found that it takes more them just stirring the wine for 2 minutes. I like to use a VacuVin Wine Saver pump. (About $8 at a store) I put the stopper on top of a bung and put the bung in the carboy and pump the air out as if you were doing it to a wine bottle. Some others on this forum may have better techniques.

Another problem could be temperature differential. If the temp changes it could affect the clearing process, but the wine will eventually clear.
My recommendation is to try degassing the wine and wait. Sometimes it just takes a while for the wine to clear, but it eventually will.

Dave

Used the wine whip again. Probably 10 min. Lots of bubbles! Hope that did the trick

I am a newbie working on my first kit. Doing WE Vintners Reserve Pinot Gris. I followed the directions to a T. After I did step 3, stabilization and clarification, the wine seemed to be clearing nicely. There were distinct layers in the carboy and the top layer seemed really clear. Now the entire carboy is cloudy with no layering other than the sediment on the bottom. It has been 7 days now since i did step 3. Is there something wrong? Or should i Just be more patient? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I had same problem with WE Pinot Gris. The wine cleared after I added pectic enzyme. Worked.

I think I figured it out. I had the carboy sitting on top of our freezer. Every time the freezer would run it would agitate the wine. Live and learn

Sounds good. The wine looks like it is clearing nicely. Top 1/3 of the carboy is crystal clear :).

Latest posts

Back