Bottle aging versus bulk aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harmony24

Reaction score
I have bulk aged three different wines for 14 months each. After bottling, I had some leftover of each wine. They still tartare green to me. Is it because of bottle shock or does it still need to age? Would I be better to not bulk age so long and just bottle age for a year? Doing that would give me opportunity to use my carboys for something else. give me carboys

Are these Kits or Grapes?.........If so what type of kits are they ..........18 liter kits? I typically bulk age in glass for 15 months and then bottle age for 1 year before I will try a half bottle. Cheers

Juice buckets. .100 percent juice 2 to 3 years easy. Be patient you will be rewarded. Cheers

The PH is about 3.2. I will do my my best to wait I was hoping to drink by Christmas.

Ph 3.2 are these whites or reds? If whites they would follow the commercial protocol. They crush, press and settle the juice then ferment. So you are getting the exact same juice they do. They bulk age for a year, then bottle for 8 months then release.

Ph should be between. 3.40 and 3.50. 3.2 is to acidic unless yo u are going to balance the with sweet.

harmony24 said:
What do I do to bring the ph up to 3.5?

Take a sample and cut it with a bit of water. See how much water it takes on your sample and then scale it up for your batch.

I assume fermentation is complete and you have used kmeta and pot sorbate? If you have not used either , you can take your wine through malolactic fermentation. Which will cause wine to rise by a couple points.

If you have used these Chems, then Malo is not and option. You can blend a higher pH wine with current to bring up pH.

Finally. Calicum carbonate. Your local wine supply store should have it, it will work perfectly to adjust. Use as directed. Cheers

Latest posts

Back