Fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomis45

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Folks....newbie here with some concerns. Fresh fruit Raspberry wine. I brought the SG up to 1.080 and used champagne yeast. 4 days later and still very quiet, no action on the airlock. Curiosity got the best of me. Very little happening inside fermentor, no foam. Acted almost like a carbonated beverage when I stirred it up. Checked and SG was down around .995. Is everything still ok with it? Confused. Any responses are appreciated.

Jerry

not all yeasts are 'foamers'.. sounds like yours is doing it's job fine.. take the SG over the next couple of days to see if it changes.. If it stays at a constant SG it's done.. you can degas and move onto clearing the wine.

Allie

What kind of primary are you using? The lids on my 2 gallon buckets I bought from midwest supplies don't seal well, I never get any action in the airlocks on them.

Peace,
Bob

Last edited:
Temp has alot to do with how fast a yeast will ferment. I have seen my Peach wine go from 1.090 to 1.010 in 36 hours. Best to always keep checking the gravity.

Most of the time when I use Champagne yeast it just simmers or acts neutral. At that gravity you are about done with primary fermentation. Like Gillian said, check it for a couple days to see if it drops any more. If no, move on to the next step. efficiency

Those runner grommets on the primaries are notorios for leaking and I drilled all my holes out bigger with a 7/8" drill bit and now use rubber bungs. Everything is fine but get that wine into glass now. Champagne yeast isa low foaming yeast which is good to use for fruit wines especially when you have a very full primary and you dont want to oam up and out the airlock.

"What kind of primary are you using? The lids on my 2 gallon buckets I bought from midwest supplies don't seal well, I never get any action in the airlocks on them."

Peace,
Bob

In fact they are the 2gals. from Midwest. Could be the problem then. I was just kind of surprised at how quick the SG dropped. Thanks for all the advice and will get it racked into glass today.

Jerry

Back