Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Hello! I started 2, 1 gallon batches of Apfelwein this morning. I think I filled the carboys up a little high. The foam is starting to get into the airlock. Should I extract some of the liquid from the carboy or just let it be?

Thanks!
Christy

My experience is that it's going to continue to overflow. I always fill my carboys to the base of the neck. You can keep what you have in there, but you will constantly be cleaning your airlock for the next few days

^ Whut he sayd! :D

Avoid the recurring PITA and use a sterilized wine thief or piece of tubing to draw out a bit of fluid. DRINK THAT! No need to waste it! ;)

you should try and get a small bucket to use as a primary. Maybe a 2 gallon ice cream bucket or see if your local bakery has any small icing buckets.

Thanks! The first time I made this was in the winter and my home was a lot cooler. This time it's much warmer in my home soI think that's why theres a lot more action! I was just worried I'd lose some yeast when taking out some liquid. But there should be plenty of yeasties in there :)

Each package of yeast is good for 5-6 gallons so even if you do lose some, you'll be ok. Good luck to you. I'll send you my address cause we charge one bottle for helping-jk :)

Thanks! The first time I made this was in the winter and my home was a lot cooler. This time it's much warmer in my home soI think that's why theres a lot more action! I was just worried I'd lose some yeast when taking out some liquid. But there should be plenty of yeasties in there :)

Stupid global warming.... :d

Latest posts

Back