Mosti Mondiale MM LE Barolo/Amarone - Grapes or Raisins Dilema?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJayman

Reaction score
Hello All-

Putting together my list of LE kits to order, and curious about preferences/nuances in regard to going with either the grape kit or the raisins?

I am normally a pretty strict CC fan, but going to give one of each of these a go. I'm a big fan of grape packs for red, but have never used raisins. It may be unfair to characterize the 2012 offerings based on previous kits, but not sure there is much else to go on.

Anyway, I appreciate the feedback to assit with my choices.......

Jay

I havent made any of these but the RJS EP Amarone comes with both a raisin pack and grape skin pack and have you add both and I have this and its about 4 1/2 years old and its awesome.

Do the MM LE 2012 come with both? George has them listed as two different offerings?

I find no clarification on the MM website either unfortunately....

Im pretty sure they only come with one this year, I think last year they came with both and it was your option.

Wow, the fact one has never had to make a choice between the two certainly makes it a rough decision. Wish MM would address the differenct nuances of the two options during their testing.

Call George and talk to him or Joseph (his chief winemaker these days). They will steer you straight for sure.
smiley20.gif

This just in from MM:
"First of all I would like to thank you for your interest in our Limited Edition Meglioli.

Both the Barolo & the Amarone comes with the dried red raisins pack (Same as last year Edition) but you have the option of adding the AllGrape pack (DO NOT USE BOTH) The AllGrape pack consist of 100% fresh grapes, No fillers, NO sweeteners just 100% pasteurized grapes which will impress you with increased body and bouquet (100% Natural) so the main difference is enhanced flavors aromas, full body, very round and soft in the mouth….this is the closest possible to make wine with grapes."

So there you have it!!!!!

Jay

Makes no sense unless it would bump up the SG to some crazy number and it says they don't add any sweeteners to the grapes.

I know the RJS Winery Series and EP's Ive done did have pretty high starting sg's like in the 1.118 area.

Wade said:
Wonder why you couldn't use both, I probably would try it myself!
I just started my second kit using BOTH grape pack and raisins. The first was a MM Ren Roso D'Avola SG 1.102 and just started RJS Valpolicella Repasso SG 1.110. The Rosa is aging and delicious, finished SG .995 so I guess it should be about 14.5%. Lots of big fruit taste already that keeps any hot alcohol in check. A possible hot alcohol taste was my primary concern but thankfully did not show. The Valp is in very active fermentation right now (day 5) at about 78 degrees F. I'm expecting that one to finish at about 15%. I have done both of these kits before (Roso D'Avola had raisins only added and Vaplolicella had provided dried skins) and will compare benefit of both grape pack and raisins.

ibglowin said:
Makes no sense unless it would bump up the SG to some crazy number and it says they don't add any sweeteners to the grapes.
Yes, I got a Syrah from FVW and Red Flame Rasins from WF. I really wish we could buy the Dried Winery Skins that come in some of the RJS kits, I really like the flavor and body they add.

The Grape Packs that we can buy from FVW seem to mostly be jam, kicks up the SG but once the jam desolves there is very little skins, seeds and stems. Whereas the RJS dried skins are all skins, twigs and seeds. So I add both.

Mike,

I used the raisin pack with my first amarone. Second kit I used the grape pack. It seems to me the raisin pack gave the wine a sharp bite to it. The grape pack had the taste more softer and mellow. jmho.

Kathie

Cheez, what a mess!!! I started the MM LE Amarone and chose the grape pak. After the first 24hrs the directions said to add the grape pak to fermenter......of which I did.

Now, the directions say to stir the must in the fermenter and then transfer to carboy with all the grape pak goodies....of which I did.

My carboy is almost half grape pak stuff!! How am I ever going to rerack with all the solids in there? It is a 6 gallon carboy and I am worried I won't even get 5 gallons of juice. How do I rack just the liquid??

This kit is trying my patience.....BIG TIME!!

Kathie

In step 8 of the instruction for all grape pack from MM :
"Upon completing the transfer of the wine from the Primary Fermenter tocarboy, the Dried Raisins or ALLGRAPE Pack will remain within yourPrimary Fermenter. Using a cheesecloth (approximately 12’’ by 12’’), placethe Dried Raisins or ALLGRAPE Pack in the cheesecloth and squeeze bywringing the cheesecloth. The juice that is extracted from this process is tobe added to your carboy. It is important to extract as much juice as possiblefrom these Dried Raisins or ALLGRAPE Pack. Why? Their skins are notbroken and therefore contain concentrated amounts of solids that will affectthe organoleptic quality of your wine in an extremely positive way!"
So I think the grapepack shouldn't be transferred to the carboy. Instead add only the extracted juice from the grapepack.

Welcome to the forum, Tagheuer. The instructions for the Impressions kits need very careful reading since they cover either the addition of raisins OR the addition of the GP. My instructions indicate to:

1 Add the grape pack to the primary bucket on day 1 along with the bentonite and yeast

2 Add the raisins after 24 hours if you are using them instead of the GP. I intend to use both on my 4 Impressions kits.

3 Stir the contents in the primary fermenter when you choose to transfer to a carboy to finish fermentation and transfer "the entire content of the Primary Fermenter" including the sediment. This evidently doesn't include the GP which "will remain within your Primary Fermenter."

Ergo, it sounds to me as though you HAVE to use a muslin bag or paint strainer bag for the GP in order to comply with the instructions. Too bad one wasn't included which might have kept Bart, Wade and Kathie from dumping the GP into the bucket loose. If it is any consolation to you 3, I have learned from your experience and will use a muslin bag for my GP. I think I will throw the raisins in loose and scoop them out for pressing at transfer time.

Kathie, don't you have some must/wine left over after putting the GP into the carboy? I hope so. Perhaps you should transfer everything from the carboy back into the bucket so you can press all the GP contents and try to get all the liquid back into the carboy. What a chore, I know. Maybe you could let the fermentation go without any transferring? A call to Mosti may be in order and I hope you will keep us updated on your situation.

Latest posts

Back