A supperior way to raise sg?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth8530

The Atomic Wine Maker
Reaction score
So, last night as i was making an F- pak for my apple wine i got to thinking.. Wouldnt you get a better fruity/ grapey flavor by instead of raising SG prior to fermentation with sugar but instead using a syrup made by reducing down said fruit or grape and adding no raw sugar to it? I know it would be more expensive... Any thoughts or comments? Kinda like mead?

Raise the abv, yes but the problem lies in losing lots of flavor of the fruit during fermenattion sometimes.

Yes it would add a lot more flavor, but would take a whole lot of fruit to replace all the sugar. Compromise and add a bit of sugar to bring it up a bit and then reduce the fruit juice down to concentrate the flavors and add a bit more fruit sugar.

You'd have to experiment to know for sure. Remember that you would be concentrating not only sugar, but also any acidity or bitterness that might be in the juice.

CO2 really blows out a lot of delicious aromas and flavors.

its one of the reasons mead makers add fruits/spices after primary.

ahh i see, you think that back sweating twith the same syrup might also help take care of the fermentation proccesss? Might even have to add some ca co3 becaue it might be too acidic?

Latest posts

Back