WineXpert California Sauvignon Blanc Rosé

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are acting like an old timer....welcome back from the campaign trail, my friend!

Didn't have time to do anything but campaign for the last three months. So I just dosed the wines and left them be.

We tasted the Rose last night to see what we were getting. Kathy asked, "when can we drink this one?" Winner. It's really very nice - soft and lightly sweet with a little acid on the back, and no sorbate taste. It will be even better chilled.

Didn't have time to do anything but campaign for the last three months. So I just dosed the wines and left them be.

We tasted the Rose last night to see what we were getting. Kathy asked, "when can we drink this one?" Winner. It's really very nice - soft and lightly sweet with a little acid on the back, and no sorbate taste. It will be even better chilled.

I was going to invite myself to your place to test that blend you made (and a rosé taste) but figured this is the first weekend you haven't had to knock on doors, so I'd give you a break so you could figure out who that woman is tending your estate the last few months. I did buy steaks today (a rarity for me), but I'm bushed already from weeding someone else's flower beds this morning, and I need to catch a groundhog this afternoon/evening.

That would be a good book title, To catch a groundhog. Or 50 ways to catch a groundhog.

There are only two ways to catch a groundhog - use a "have-a-heart" trap, or (my preference) the "stop-a-heart" method.

Got a sweet 16 party tonight for my youngest. Tomorrow evening might not be a bad idea. Going away next weekend to lay on the beach and think about nothing.

Transferred mine to a carboy yesterday. Hit 0.991 and has the brownish hue that others have had at this point. Decent flavor, but quite a bit of alcohol kick. I imagine the other half of the fpac will smooth it out a little and I'll be letting it sit for 3-6 months as well.

I also used my bigger autosiphon for the first time. That thing really shortens the amount of time spent transferring. Would definitely recommend that to my younger self.

I started this one in the beginning of March. Do you think I'd be pushing it if I wanted to enjoy this Rosè this summer. Maybe by July 4th wknd?
It's sitting at ~67°. Overdue for some Kmeta and will rack. How was the difference from month 5 to month 9 or more?
I added the whole f-pack up front so no need for any backsweetening balancing time. (I just assume backsweeteing needs time to mellow and balance)

Last edited:
I started this one in the beginning of March. Do you think I'd be pushing it if I wanted to enjoy this Rosè this summer. Maybe by July 4th wknd?
It's sitting at ~67°. Overdue for some Kmeta and will rack. How was the difference from month 5 to month 9 or more?
I added the whole f-pack up front so no need for any backsweetening balancing time. (I just assume backsweeteing needs time to mellow and balance)

Since you're not back sweetening then you don't need sorbate, hence it may be ok to drink around 3 months.

The main issue we found with this wine was the sorbate or bubble gum flavor it had early on but then it dissipated with time.

Since you're not back sweetening then you don't need sorbate, hence it may be ok to drink around 3 months.

The main issue we found with this wine was the sorbate or bubble gum flavor it had early on but then it dissipated with time.

Same here. It's drinking very nicely now. But this time last year, there was some sorbate flavor. @ibglowin did this one with the whole f-pack up front and I believe he was really enjoying it soon after starting.

If I'm not mistaken, in the strictest sense simply blending with Merlot wine would classify as a Blush. They'd have to be using the Merlot skins for the color. Even at that I don't know if the Rules permit it. :a1

"Blush" is just a US Trademark name for Rosé wines. Historically used to differentiate the sweeter American Rosé wines and for marketing.

I haven't read this entire thread, but has anyone attempted to lightly oak this kit at all? With maybe a light toast French or American?
I just racked this and gave her a taste. What I previously had tasted as the little bit of sweetness pushing through, now seems to be that bubble gum sorbate taste on second thought. Or it's all in my head. (Went dry to .992) Although my palate isn't the most distinguished.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to take out a bottle to experiment with. I'll throw on a headspace eliminator and add just a touch of light oak to a bottle. Currently if I closed my eyes I'd swear I was drinking straight Sav Blanc. Gonna break the rules and give it a try.

Latest posts

Back