WineXpert LE Vermentino

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim and Varis, I know you guys go a lot of white wines. Do either of you cold stabilize your whites to prevent diamonds if pH and TA are to you liking?

Jim and Varis, I know you guys go a lot of white wines. Do either of you cold stabilize your whites to prevent diamonds if pH and TA are to you liking?

I've only done that to two kits - both were reds, and I believe I threw them off balance in doing so.

Long time ago I did CS a red wine kit, I think it was the CC Showcase Malbec but can't recall.
As Jim pointed out, also for me the wine was off balance.

For whites, never done it and never would try it either.
Kits are pretty much balanced and personally I wouldn't CS. I do storage them in my cold basement just in case some more sediments could drop after the clearing process.

BTW - How's everyone's Vermentino coming along?
Mine has been bulk aged in carboy since Jan 29 (SG ~0.994 and pH ~3.57) after clearing, so is getting close to 2 months. Need to take a sip and see how it tastes. I skipped sorbate since there's no f-pack added.

I have a 2nd kit waiting on deck and depending on how the 1st one develops its taste, I may back sweeten this 2nd kit a little bit.

Last edited:
Also, have you guys taken a final pH reading after degassing and stabilizing?
Really wondering if this kit finalizes in the 3.5~3.6 range. :sh

Hey Brian, any chance you can also take a pH reading please?
Trying to get a consensus to see if everyone is getting a high pH.

Thanks,

Would be happy to, but since I only make wine from kits I don't have anything to measure it with.

It tasted fine and balanced when I transferred it to bulk aging, for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
BTW @geek: What are you thinking of this wine so far? To me, it is rather 'meh'. Pretty generic white wine at this point.

BTW @geek: What are you thinking of this wine so far? To me, it is rather 'meh'. Pretty generic white wine at this point.

Yeah, that is exactly what I said in another post, at least when I racked this wine I wasn't impressed at all, but you know what, I'm going to recheck later tonight and see if any improvements.

And I have a 2nd kit of this wine waiting for me to start it.....:(
Maybe a bit of f-pack will help it?
I know you said your pH reading was lower in the 3.2x, so maybe acid is not the key but back sweeting a bit? :ft

I've got one of these kits siting in the basement, waiting for you guys to figure out this pH/taste thing. Any updates?

Greg

After sitting quietly in bulk age, decided to calibrate the PH56 meter and check this Vermentino.
Surprisingly the pH reads 3.32 but it tastes like no other wine kit I made before, really off [emoji23][emoji23]

Is yours that bad? I added some tartaric adic that seems to help but still nothing special.

Latest posts

Back