Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoifeLuC

Reaction score
On my second fermentation it's slowing down. I've got about 5 more days according to directions (Winexpert Diablo Rojo). If I still see more activity would I go with the idea of no activity or by the reading if my hydrometer reading they recommended?

On my second fermentation it's slowing down. I've got about 5 more days according to directions (Winexpert Diablo Rojo). If I still see more activity would I go with the idea of no activity or by the reading if my hydrometer reading they recommended?

During fermentation, ALWAYS use your hydrometer as your guide. Everyone's fermentation conditions are different and time varies. Fermentation progress is best measured in Specific Gravity or BRIX, not in time.

As a minimum, during secondary fermentation (fermentation not in a bucket or vat, but in a carboy type vessel), when your hydrometer reading is both below .998 and doesn't change for about 3 days, you can consider fermentation completed and move on to your next steps.

hydrometer reading is the only thing. I assume by activity you are referring to bubbles in airlock. could be co2 releasing out of the wine and fermentation is complete.

Thanks. The "activity" I'm seeing are the tiny bubbles at top and edge of wine. No airlock activity.

One reason to only trust the Hydrometer is if for some reason there's the tiniest place CO2 can escape from other than the airlock it will generally take the path of least resistance cause it to appear as though there is no fermentation (air lock activity) activity even though there is.

I've bought a Winexpert Diablo Rojo, the quandary that I have is when I've opened it there are 3 sachets Premium Oak and Oak Toasted which are granular and Oak French Heavy which are chips all 30g the instructions say to add oak chips or granular oak at the primary fermentation stage, so my question is (and please forgive me if it seems really silly) do I add the lot or choose a particular one?

Latest posts

Back