Blenders

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once a bottle is opened, you must do something (including drinking) with it rather than recorking!! :i

So you have more than one fermenting/ageing at a time?
What about taking bottles of wine I already have bottled, opening them, doing some blending, them recorking? Or would the air exposure create a problem?
We only have 3 buckets, so that's the most we've had fermenting at one time; the most we've had bulk aging at one time is 9 carboys.

Blending from the bottle isn't a bad idea...my wife and I have done that on occasion. I definitely wouldn't recork anything opened, but blending bottled wine in a glass can be a lot of fun.

I just did a 50/50 blend of concord and red raspberry, very good. The concord comes thru nicely and finishes with a nice raspberry flavor.

Mike and I were in Bloomington, IN over the weekend and went to a wine bar there. Tried a blend that I need to make, lol, not saying what it is until I get it the way I want. Looks like a trip to Walkers cuz that is the only place that has the juice that I am looking for.

I have a gallon jug that I rotate god knows what reds into. Half a bottle of wine left over? Dump it in. A little left in a Carboy from bottling? Add it in. If it's too dry I'll add a sweeter wine next time, you get thine idea. Only down side is I could never reproduce it.

Does this count as blending? Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I have a gallon jug that I rotate god knows what reds into. Half a bottle of wine left over? Dump it in. A little left in a Carboy from bottling? Add it in. If it's too dry I'll add a sweeter wine next time, you get thine idea. Only down side is I could never reproduce it.

As a "concoction" kind of guy, I love that idea. There's something wonderful about fleeting, one of a kind creations; like freestyle poetry slam, or the artists who create beautiful works from colored sand, only to blow it all away when complete.

LOL, yes it counts as blending!

I do the same thing, I have a melbac, zin, sauv blanc, elderberry and I think reisling blend bottled, I have no idea on the ratios, just whatever I have after my final racking goes into the jug. I call it Party Wine

LOL, yes it counts as blending!

I do the same thing, I have a melbac, zin, sauv blanc, elderberry and I think reisling blend bottled, I have no idea on the ratios, just whatever I have after my final racking goes into the jug. I call it Party Wine

Party wine, I like that, consider it stolen terminology!

blueberry, blackberry and elderberry, now that sounds like a good blend.

50% Chardonnay, 25% Pinot Grigio, 25% Brianna,,,, sweeten to @.998,,,, chill. All likes thus far:dg

Ditto. Did a 50:50 elderberry blueberry dry with a little oak. One of the best fruit wines I've ever made. I called it "Old Blue".

So when your back sweetening what are you doing it with? Is this only done with fruit wines? I can't see me making a Chianti blend and "sweetening" it?

So when your back sweetening what are you doing it with? Is this only done with fruit wines? I can't see me making a Chianti blend and "sweetening" it?
Usually we use simple syrup (sugar and water) since it integrates and distributes easily, but we've also used plain cane sugar, honey, and fruit concentrate. It's not always to make your wine "sweet", but also to balance a wine. Some of our wines we do want a little sweet like muscat or Riesling, but we've added a bit of sugar to other wines also, well below what I'd call sweet. It's kind of like adding sugar to spaghetti sauce to reduce the acid... sometimes adding a smidge of sugar will balance the wine's acid or bring out the fruit flavor, etc.

Ok, here is a blender for you Muscadine wine makers. 2 parts Carlos, 3 parts Noble. Holy crap did this turn out great. You get that Carlos taste with a nice noble finish.

Latest posts

Back