Just tested my ph

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
Just was able to test the ph in my Chilean Pinot Grigio. It was only 2.79. What do you guys think I should do? Not good at chemistry so no ta test.

How does it taste? It is a white wine, so it should be crisp and acidic. Did you use Strip or meter?

Thats a little on the low side. Need more info on how you did the test and what tools you used. Normally a crisp white should be around ~3.15-3.3

That is lower than even our cold climate hybrid grapes. It is unusually low. I would double check your measurement and confirm that your pH meter is calibrated properly. If it really is that low I would think those grapes were picked way to early. I would suggest you get some assistance to get a TA measurement as well. If the TA is normal, I would doubt your pH measurement.

I have a new ph meter that I did calibrate two times. The tastes fine but feel I should raise the ph a little.

If it tastes good I would be hesitant to do any chemical modification. The good news is you will have an easy time for microbial stability and so2 levels. Can you tell us more details? Is this new must or already fermented? How old? Did you do cold stabilization?

+1 on Cold Stabilization if you haven't already tried. That could raise the pH a fair bit depending on what drops out.

It was fresh juice from CI lat September. I did cold stabilized Of 2weeks and no crystals at all.

just tested the ta, if i got it right it was .68. my ph meter is new but had a hard time calibrating it. After calibrating it I would move it back and forth between solutions and it was off a little bit. What do you guys and gals think?

harleydmn said:
just tested the ta, if i got it right it was .68. my ph meter is new but had a hard time calibrating it. After calibrating it I would move it back and forth between solutions and it was off a little bit. What do you guys and gals think?

With TA at .68, and it tastes ok, I'd leave it.

I was just worried that the pH was too low. Everything I read says 3.1 to 3.5.

Latest posts

Back