my first mead.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddportleft

Reaction score
I forgot about a jug sitting in the corner. About six months. Didn't do a thing about it. It's now below 0.98. Want something sweet. Suggestions?

Stabilize and backsweeten with honey is probably the best answer, unless you happen to have another batch that is too sweet, then you could blend them.

I'm about to add half a can of Welches white grape juice concentrate to half my first batch of mead. I will let you know how it goes.

I wopuld add honey to 1.01 without chemical and see what you get. It might restart but so what. You have giving it this much time you can backsweetin again to 1.01, if it restart, later. It may cloud up again when you backsweetin but time will take care of that. Honey to sweetin you will be glad you did

I did a test with 250 ml x 2 separate bottles. One backsweetened to 1.000 with honey, one backsweetened to 1.000 with Welches white grape concentrate.

Honey wins.

A year is a great idea. Most of the edge will have mellowed by 6 months. At 3 years mead start becoming devine

I have some 5 + year natural corks. Maybe I'll set aside a few bottles for a few years. I'm not a big mead fan (I prefer reds) but every once in a while friends ask for non-reds. Letting the mead sit for years shouldn't be a problem...unlike my cab/sauv's which tend to go "missing" quickly.

Latest posts

Back