REVIEW: *Whole House Wine Filtering*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Steve, this is the correct parts list for this filter system. I hope I got it right this time. I used an old parts list from an old thread in my description above.

Item Description:
Pentek 158326 1/4" NPT Slim Line 10" Clear Housing - $7.99 - 19J2
Pentek 1244047 3G SL Bracket Kit for Slim Line Housings - $6.74 - 15R2
Pentek PD-1-934 Polydepth Filter Cartridge - $4.50 - 15S4
Pentek SW-1a Filter Wrench, WW38 - $2.70 - 02A3
Sub Total: $26.43
Shipping: $5.95
Total: $32.38

I think you can get another housing that will work (158116). Both of these do not have the troublesome release valve on top.

Is this right Steve?

That is correct - The 158116 has also the same 1/4 npt female threads on the in and out of the pump, so those have to be purshased separetely

Here is a link to a pdf on the same set up as above
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/review-allinonewinepump-15976/index31.html

I sealed the pressure relief valve on one of my filter housings after reading of the problems. What I did is remove the screw, take out the spring, drilled the red cap through and tap #8-32. re-assemble without the spring, and tighten until the seal is secure.

filter.jpg

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 158116 and the 158326, other than one costing nearly twice as much as the other?

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 158116 and the 158326, other than one costing nearly twice as much as the other?

I believe that the 158116 is better made - that is only going by the pics

That is a good question - I could call filterfast -and ask,considering that they typicall will always carry this model more in stock rather than the 158326

As long as they both work, I'm not too concerned. But others may be. I ordered today and had to go with the more expensive because it was the only one in stock. My assumption is that it's a step up in quality.

Going by what gvc.net has as specs the only difference is a blue (158116) or white (158326) cap.
For the price of 158116 you could upgrade to the 3G slimline for just a little more (158610). But you need to use 3/8" or 1/2" NPT to get the same price, the 1/4" is a bit more. Their pricing really makes no sense to me considering they are all essentially the same product. It might be worth checking out gvc.net as well since they carry all the housings and don't fluctuate the price across the product line.

Going by what gvc.net has as specs the only difference is a blue (158116) or white (158326) cap.
For the price of 158116 you could upgrade to the 3G slimline for just a little more (158610). But you need to use 3/8" or 1/2" NPT to get the same price, the 1/4" is a bit more. Their pricing really makes no sense to me considering they are all essentially the same product. It might be worth checking out gvc.net as well since they carry all the housings and don't fluctuate the price across the product line.

Thanks for another place for purchasing housings - I have not looked at their filters yet. I did after it took a little time to cross reference athe same part # as been mentioned thru filterfast the 158116 is only 11.83 each. I have not compared shipping cost difference

gvc.net only sells the filters in bulk. So if you only need one or two filters and a housing then filterfast is probably still the best place to purchase from.

Filters Fast - Whole House Filtering.

BB24,
There is a BIG difference between the tow. I found out the hard way and had received the 158117, which is the cheaper model of the 158116. If you look at the pictures of these, there is a little red pressure relief button on the top. The description also mentions a pressure relief.

This is great for pressured water systems, but you are using it under vacuum! The pressure relief valve will suck open causing a vacuum leak. Also, the pressure relief has some steel parts that will corrode with k-meta. Others have reported these problems on this forum! Stay away from pressure relief for this application.

I would recommend Filters Fast #158326 (http://www.filtersfast.com/Pentek-158326-Filter-Housing.asp) and the bracket to mount it. At $7.99, it can't be beat. I just filtered 12 gallons with it and the All-in-One Wine Pump and it was actually fun. Like other fun things in life, it was over too quickly ;-) !

BB24,
I would also recommend purchasing a 24" piece of black plastic 1/2" potable water pipe from Home Depot. They have it pre-cut with the galvanized and black nipples. It is not threaded on either end and uses 1/2" barb type fittings. This is the same stuff that comes in rolls for well systems, sometimes called Orbit Flex pipe.

Cut a piece with a tubing cutter/knife/hacksaw to 9". This will allow a pressure fit into the lid of the Pentek #158326 filter housing lid, on the underside (inside). Hand push, maybe turning a little until fully seated about 3/8" to 1/2". The 9" length will allow your wine to be vacuumed from the bottom of the filter housing and leave very little wine in the bottom of housing. With the AIOWP, I was actually able to get all the wine out of the filter housing, with only some remaining in the filter itself. I'll post a video or pictures when I have time.

Ok, maybe this has been suggested before. Ignore me if it has. :h

I noticed some people saying they turn the (unmounted) filter housing upside down to get the last of the wine out when they are done filtering a btach of wine. Could the housing not be mounted upside down in the first place? No need for an interior pick-up tube and no loss of wine whatsoever.

I'm going to try it!

The filter has to be started right side up or it will not fill. Once the filter body is full, then it can be turned over and you will pull almost everything to the last drop.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzfLipeZidk[/ame]

Ah! Thanks, Chewman! I knew someone had thought of that already, somewhat. I'll have to experiment a little. I can see mounting the housing to a swivel that would let you flip it over at will, and yet remain mounted. I'm on it!

Ah! Thanks, Chewman! I knew someone had thought of that already, somewhat. I'll have to experiment a little. I can see mounting the housing to a swivel that would let you flip it over at will, and yet remain mounted. I'm on it!

Well Dave
I recall someone already mounted one on a swivel devise as well, I tried to search for it , but unable to find it as I am walking out the door - good luck

Dave,
Why do you want to install a flip mount when for $0.80 at Home Depot, you can add a tube without threading anything? This will allow you to mount the filter as intended and still empty the filter housing bowl with the All-In-One Wine pump.

Here is a link to a video I made on How to Assemble a Whole House Wine Filter using the Pentek #158326 filter housing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3jHeRHtZ-s&feature=youtu.be

Hey Chiumanfu, how did you embed the YouTube video?

Yes, Rob, I have the tube inside. It works pretty good that way. If I can work out a swivel for it, I will remove the internal tube..

My reasons are two fold. One, I want every drop of wine out of that thing when I'm done. Just greedy, I guess. Two, the last time I filtered, I had the same problem some others have faced. The filter did not line up propery in the top of the housing and got damaged when I tightened it up with the wrench. There appears to be no way to be absolutely sure the filter is lined up right (you can't see the top of it) when you are screwing in the housing. I have seen rubber o-rings used to keep it lined up---and that's an option---but if I could invert the housing while installing the filter cartridge, I could make sure it's in the right place. In addition, invertion would allow the aforementioned complete draining of the housing at the end of filtering.

Killing two birds... Do you follow me?

Last edited:
First off, Great Video JetLockey! Well done.

I have the AWP and have used all of the recommended whole house filter parts. I have experimented with it using water, trying to reduce the amount of air that enters the carboy during the intial stage where the filter is filling up. Once the filter is completely filled up, then it is no longer an issue. However, the first gallon of wine that enters the carboys is receiving too much oxygen in my opinion.
I don't have any leaks in my system and use the tube system as explained by jet jockey.
My 2 questions would be.
1. Has anyone found a technique to lessen the amount of O2 that is intially injected into the system during pre fill?
2. Is the amount of air an issue in the possibility of oxidizing the wine during this intial 1-2 minutes it takes to prefill the filter?

Norske. That is the reason why I use the flip method. I tried the pipe method as well and came to the same conclusion.

The reason is actually because the junction between cap and pipe is not air tight. If you try to make it air tight (I used a slightly smaller pipe and a stack of orings), it will not fill. The level just stays at about half way. Technically this makes sense because what goes out must come in.

With a non-air tight seal between cap and pipe, it will mix air into the wine until the level rises above the junction. You can actually make this fill process faster by making the junction less air tight, thus more vacuum inside the filter housing to pull in more wine... but then you run into the same problem at the end of the cycle.

Try it and figure out which method you like best. They both have pros and cons.

Latest posts

Back