Fruit Wine sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Reaction score
Was looking at my wine inventory just yesterday, and noticed that some of my year old homemade fruit wines had developed a disgusting sediment. Probably could run wine over a coffee filter to clear it out when serving, but looks bad in the bottle. Not something I would serve guests.

Question is: None of these wines were filtered prior to bottling. Would filtering have prevented this or is this just a natural outcome of making wines such as banana? Also did not use a clarifying agent, but let bulk age for a number of months before bottling.

I have also had a time getting some such as strawberry to clear and not drop sediment once in the bottles, uncorked all and did end up using a clearing agent. A filter is just for polishing a wine andcould strain but clogs the filter.

Don't know if that helps but been there done that
smiley4.gif

What is the time frame youve been using for bulk aging? Im sure lots of us have had this problem. I havent had this in a long time and thats due to bulk aging longer and also filtering. Filtering would work but f its been in the bottle awhile I recommend racking the wine right onto some kmeta to prevent oxidation as it might be low now.

Im guessing you bottled to soon. Fruit wines need 6-9 months before bottling.
Yes once clear I would suggest filtering.

Bentenite really helps clear and also helps prevent future hazes.

Even after using a fining agent it still needs lot of time for the very fine sediment to fall out. Only time or a tight filter can take out that.

Me too. Especially if I get in a little bit of a hurry. In a pinch I have repackaged wines into fresh bottles simply by pouring the first 85% slowly into a new bottle and reserving the leavings for topping up wine. Although it is always nice when things work out right the first time. I bulk aged an apple about 5 months then found sediment 6 weeks after bottling.

Over the years I have had several wines drop some sediment in the bottles. Usually this sediment becomes somewhat dense with time. Pouring carefully takes care of the problem for me.

I've had this happen a few times. It will happen more often with darker fruit wines like blackberry, ect. I use fining and filter everything now. Nothing worse than giving someone a gift bottle and they keep it for a while then it does that. Ports and sherrys that are fortifyed are especially prone to dropping alot of sediment.

Pete

Latest posts

Back