Using equipment from infected beer batch?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PandemoniumWines

Save the Winos
Reaction score
Hubby brews beer, I make wine. We each have our own equipment and ferment in different rooms.

Hubby just had an infected batch of beer and was advised to pitch all his plasticware that touched it. Something about wild yeasts? I admit I know little about making beer.

Is it safe for me to use? I don't care much either way, but he has some bigger carboys that could be handy :D

Getting rid of all plasticware that touched the infected batch is the general advice given, because when people have repeat infections it is generally traced back to some plastic part. I've read about brewers who are able to bleach bomb their gear and put it back into use, but much more often read about people who try to do the same yet end up with further infected batches. I ended up with an infected batch of cider and threw out my bucket, autosiphon, and wine thief out of an abundance of caution. Cheaper than the ingredients for a new batch and it soothed the voices in the back of my head.

Last year I had infected batch of beer for the first and only time so far. I have many crossover utensils between beer and wine and would be impossible to determine which it was that touched the beer plus it was many weeks later that the infection was noticed. I'm too cheap to just throw everything out. I cleaned and sanitized everything thoroughly and never had another issue.

Beer is more susceptible to infections than wine and what might infect beer might not be capable of infecting wine.

Latest posts

Back