SOS Sulfite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmlucifer

Reaction score
I just got my lab test results and I was recommended to add 15mg/L (ppm) to my wine which has zero so2 present. My quantity is 20 liters. This is pre MLF. I get a result of 0.52g of sulfite. Can someone please confirm this value.

Last edited:
If you plan on doing MLF do not add any sulfites

I agree and wouldn't add any sulfites if your going to do MLF. The amount that would be safe is almost immeasurable.

To late guys I added the sulfite this morning forgot to check the forum. But I'll still run the MLF as per the lab report recommendation. (this is a creditable wine Lab) What side effect can happen if MLF is not successful?

To late guys I added the sulfite this morning forgot to check the forum. But I'll still run the MLF as per the lab report recommendation. (this is a creditable wine Lab) What side effect can happen if MLF is not successful?

You will get a Geranium flavor of you added sorbate.
If you added sulfite before MLF it will not happen

What wine is this? Do you know the pH of the wine? What strain of mlb are you using. Some are more tolerant of S02 than others. The level they recommended is not all that high, so you may be alright with the right strain. Since you decided to do malo on this wine, you can no longer safely add sorbate to the wine without sterile filtering before that addition.

This is a cabernet sauvignon wine the PH is 3.67, 12.6% alcohol/volume, volatile acidity 0.5g/L, residual co2 0mg/L. Planing to use Lalvin Bacchus.

Can you yes, will it work we dont know because there are just to many factors like not knowing the S02 level.

The addition of the S02 will make it a bit more difficult to get the mlf going, but you don't have high levels so it will get going after a bit. I would make a starter for it before adding to the wine. Take a small amount of apple juice and add to a half cup of warm water. Add your mlb to it and place in a warm spot- not hot but not cold- around 75 would be good. Let that sit a few days covered and you will likely see some bubbles rising in it by then. Add that to your wine and keep the wine relatively warm. Bacchus is a bit slow, but endures your pH just fine so you are good there. Even if the mlf stalls due to a bit too high level of S02, it will begin after a while as your free S02 levels lowers - again make sure to keep the temps around 70F.

Good luck. I hope it goes well. Sorry for the delay- I have been working on labels all day to send in for approval.

As long as it doesnt have sorbate, sulfite, and or benzoate in the ingredients as those are yeast inhibitors.

Plain untreated apple juice is best. Yeast inhibitors don't matter since this is a bacteria, but those preservatives can prevent the bacteria from reproducing so untreated is best.

As usual you guys never let me down. Now I have enough info to make some kind of rational decision. Thanks to all.

Back