Purchasing wine online

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrown73

Clueless Winemaker
Reaction score
So, I've been purchasing wine online from time to time to get wines I just can't find locally.

I purchase from a shop in New Jersey from time to time and I went back to purchase some wine recently and the website said it cannot ship to Connecticut. I've purchased wine from here several times, but not since maybe last Oct.

They told me that around November, Fedex will no longer allow them to ship wine to Connecticut.

What the hell!!!! Anyone know of this or have been affected by this? I'm guessing it's a nationwide thing maybe. I'm not aware of any laws changing in November that would have caused this in the state of Connecticut.

:ft

I thought I'd read about something changing in CT a few months ago.

I thought I'd read about something changing in CT a few months ago.

Where? I can't find anything about anything happening in 2016 concerning shipping to Connecticut. :(

I want to know who I have to get belligerent with. Fedex or Connecticut.

Left CT a year and a half ago for a number of reasons and do still miss it some. Retirement income is not txed here in PA and that has been a big plus.

Suggest you PM member "geek" (aka Varis). Varis lives in Naugatuck does a a fair amount online ordering. Matter of fact I'll PM Varis with the link to this thread.

Since I never order wine online, not sure what changed and when.
Is it just that vendor? Have you tried another vendor that may use different carrier?

Since I never order wine online, not sure what changed and when.
Is it just that vendor? Have you tried another vendor that may use different carrier?

No, it's a policy change by Fedex. I'm not sure yet if it's related to a law change in November.

I've emailed Fedex about it, but haven't yet heard back.

I found this link on their website that specifies which stats can ship wine by retailers. (it's a PDF) It does not on the other hand specify why it changed.

These are specific to retailers sending wine. Wineries can send wine so my Columbia Crest shipments will continue unhampered.

Searching a list of laws that went into affect for the state of Connecticut. The only one I see is concerning powered alcohol. Nothing else. (I never even thought of powered alcohol, but it's illegal to possess!)

Yep, does Gary's Wine use UPS or something? Not sure if UPS does it. I have had wine delivered via UPS before, but not from Wine Library.

I don't know how they ship, They are fairly close to me so I just go there, I have shipped from WL a couple times when it was free and saved me the ride, but never shipped from gary's.

Latest posts

Back