Red Oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenD55

Reaction score
I understand as a barrel, red oak is unfavorable due to the porosity and all. But has anyone tried it in a carboy? Unless I'm way off base, it seems that being porous would be advantageous since the goal is to saturate the wood better for filtering and imparting flavor. Or does it just make the wine taste nasty?

Steve

I understand as a barrel, red oak is unfavorable due to the porosity and all. But has anyone tried it in a carboy? Unless I'm way off base, it seems that being porous would be advantageous since the goal is to saturate the wood better for filtering and imparting flavor. Or does it just make the wine taste nasty?

Steve

My understanding from others on this forum is that red oak is NOT a wood you want to flavor your wine! See below.

Nope, the stuff you buy at LHBS is white oak. I have heard that red oak imparts a cat urine taste/smell (no joke).

I believe that the red oak is more resinous which also has different flavor profile that most find undesirable. Some other toasted hardwoods like apple or maple might provide certain benefit but I haven't tried yet and I might do that with a couple chips in a test bottle or three just for fun.

White oak is probably the go-to choice for good reason though?

Cheers!
-johann.b

Reminds me of a terrible joke -

What's the difference between a garbanzo-bean and a chick-pea?

Not to be contrary, but a little more research and I found that pin oak is the species that has foul tendencies. I'd never heard of pin oak, but read that it grows in swampy areas. So, that sort of figures that it would taste off.

Red oak might not be all that bad.

This is from the bourbon guys in case you are interested.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4150

Red oak is too porous for barrels. So, it's a given that it won't be good for that.

I have a batch of wine I'll split and try some of each and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the responses.

Latest posts

Back