Other Argentia Coast Amarone (Costco)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedlemon

Reaction score
Welp. Just started this kit today.

It's a full 23L juice kit (what an awkward bag to pour into the bucket solo)
It includes two packs of oak and a bag of raisins (labelled raisins / currants) to be added at primary.
The juice smells very... plum-y to me and not too grape-y.

I'm keeping it, effectively, by the book to see how it turns out. It's listed as a 6-week kit but I'll let it sit for longer before I bottle this time (now that the cellar is very well stocked).

My plan, for the raisins, once primary is complete is to transfer them into a Merlot Costco kit (I'm debating, actually, just pouring it over the lees from the Amarone kit)

I haven't seen one of these kits lately, my local Costco claims to be a small store, and doesn't carry them. In the past, the 23L kits at Costco have NOT been full juice, but rather rehydrated concentrate. Probably won't make a big difference, but I mention this in case somebody keyed on the term "full juice".

Have a look at the ingredients please.

Steve

In the past, the 23L kits at Costco have NOT been full juice, but rather rehydrated concentrate. Probably won't make a big difference, but I mention this in case somebody keyed on the term "full juice".

Have a look at the ingredients please.

I think you're right that it's a rehydrated concentrate. I'll check the box when I get home (if it didn't get tossed for recycling already).

It's only online and the reviews have been nearly overwhelmingly positive. And, for whatever reason, the quantity of reviews of the Amarone kit overwhelm the number of reviews on any other kit.

Started a nice, slow, rolling boil shortly after the yeast was added.

I'm running this batch with the lid just resting lightly on the bucket rather than under airlock. The missus has commented about the odor in the basement so I think that'll be the last time I do that.
Still has a very sweet-plum-scent to my nose.

The raisins/currants appear to me to be mostly (all?) currants once rehydrated. I don't see any large raisins nor 'chunks' of raisins but just rehydrated currants.

I'll double-up on this thread since it's kind of related though I'll track the Merlot in Joe's cheap kit thread

The Amarone was transferred to secondary last week (and smelt good). The notes of plum have lessened quite a bit. I've a mental note to leave it alone for at least 4 weeks in secondary before I'll transfer it.

I started my Merlot (7L Argentia Ridge Chateau) kit on the lees (and skins/currants/Oak) of the Amarone. It fired up admirably on the lees. I added a cup of raisins to the mix (and a light splash of some tannin - 1/2tsp or so). The Merlot kit came with a pack of oak so some fresh oak was added.

On a related note: I think I've determined that I don't much like the scent of Merlot as much as I do Cab Sauv but, with the tweaks, my couple stolen sips on the stirring spoon have been delicious. The smell of the Merlot seemed off to me when I first poured it into primary so I opened a commercial bottle and it had the same scent. The time in primary with the currants & raisins, however, has really softened that scent and flavor.
On that revelation: I ordered a Cab Sauv kit.

Both wines have been degassed, cleared and are racked for 'aging'.

I'm planning to pull out some samples of both to check that they've adequately degassed before determining if I'll be bottling shortly or letting it sit in the carboy a little longer.

I really want to compare the Merlot against the prior Merlot I made (with raspberries). I wasn't a fan of how that one turned out (though my dad's been a huge fan of it... )

Nice to see some notes on Costco kits.
Just started winemaking early this year. I did two batches of Costco White Zin due to the full five star comments. Just followed the book except dumped complete F-Pack into primary for batch 1 and half F-pack to fermenter in batch 2. Found White Zin needs some residual sugar to balance the tartness. It is light, I guess it is supposed to be. But pretty fresh. So far so good. Not bad comparing with the commercial one, which is way too sweet for me.
Planning to make some reds (Cab in radar now, maybe add Merlo to make a Meritage blend. But the double pack really is a kind of too much). Just waiting for the upcoming sale.
Reading Joe's post these days as well. Sounds the cheap kits can be a fun stuff to play especially for a beginner. Lower risk.

Latest posts

Back